What's your favorite chicken breed(s) for pets and/or being affectionate.

What is your favorite chicken breed for being affectionate

• Orpington (Buff, Chocolate, Lavender, etc)

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Brahma

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Old English Game (OEG)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Cornish Cross

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Easter Egger (Technically not a breed but still)

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Starlight Green Egger

• Prairie Bluebell Egger

• Austrolop

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Sebright (Gold and/or Silver, etc)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Wyandotte (any coloration)

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Barnvelder

• Speckled Sussex

• Light Sussex

• Barred Rock

• Dominique

• Leghorn

• Silkie

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Ameraucana

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Polish

• Other (Specify in comments)

Votes: 16 34.8%

• Total voters
Silkies are sweet even my Roosters are polite . My Polish bantams are sweet . My standard polish were flighty but they weren't aggressive . I have an EE / Silkie mix that's happiest if she can be a lap chicken

I would love to see what your silkie mix looks like!!! ❤️
She turned into a He and sadly had to be re-homed , but he went to his own flock of pet chickens and is much happier

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230410-033333.png
    Screenshot_20230410-033333.png
    1 MB · Views: 9
Not sure. I handed them all the time from Day 1. Always wanted to be near me or on me. Right before they started laying they were very standoffish. I was so sad!!! Once they started laying they went back to being sweet. This is the only flock I've ever had so I have nothing to compare it to. I can handle all of them without fussing. I chose them because we have such high temperatures where we live and I know they tolerate it better than most. I'd love to have some that are super lovey but I'm not sure what could tolerate 90+ days of above 100 degrees during the summers.
they have that teenager full of hormones energy in a big way!

All my ameraucanas are lap chickens even when they were in their teenager stage, but one black ameraucana pullet, Pepsi, is just like a puppy dog! She will even fetch! Not as good as a dog, but half of the time she will get a piece of grass or pine shaving back to me. If she wants to play, she will run around me to get attention; if she wants to cuddle, she will peck my boots. Other than the ameraucanas, my olive egger, splash marans, and dorking are all lap chickens.

I need to mention that not all ameraucanas are the same. I had a blue ameraucana from Meyer are a little shy, although she was a great layer. But my current ameraucanas originally from John Blehm line (I got them from dheltzel) are not only all lap chickens but good layers too. They will lay 5~6 days and then take one day break.

Back
Top Bottom