Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Pics
Quote:

WE, the breeders, the actual breeders who understand the hardships of a breeding program, not those "said breeders" who have proposed a SOP to their liking, we have to stand up and speak out against the false truths and have a SOP written that truley defines and sets a standard accurately for the bird we all have come to love.

Yes?

I took some new pictures of my wheatens and finally got them downloaded. My mature (almost 3 years) roo has a little bit of white fluff, but my 5 month old cockeral really doesn't have any showing yet, but he has a lot of maturing to do. I'm hoping he gets as big as the older one because he has a much nicer comb. He didn't cooperate for a picture except in the background.

100_0902_final.jpg
100_0911_final.jpg
100_0908_final.jpg
100_0909_final.jpg

Quote:
The problem with creating unattainable standards is breeders quit showing or just a couple of people enter shows which doesn't do much for one's pride if they are the only contestant.

Joe

Quote:
The problem with creating unattainable standards is breeders quit showing or just a couple of people enter shows which doesn't do much for one's pride if they are the only contestant.

Joe

Let me state my opinion here. To me the cottonball should be a fault and the white wing and tail feathers should be a DQ. I sure do not think the SOP should be watered down to make all our fowl acceptable. Don

I think many people who don't show or have a SOP understand if I win the Marans best of variety at a show on champion row I don't have a chance because a bird with fluff isn't going to win anything....Bob said you need to have a bird score a 92 to have a chance...Marans have so many faults that's going to be tough....I've only been to one little show and the bird that won has won at way bigger shows and the other Continentals were pretty nice only Marans there were some trashy Blue Coppers for sale....

I show horses if I win first over 2 horses so what then when I go to the Grand and Reserve class and win that is a big difference because that is over all the gelding there...just saying for all the work you want it to count

Quote:
These are my thoughts exactly. Was wondering what their reasons were for calling it a fault. Do they have genetics to back it up or is it just a personal preference and they just decided they didn't like the way it looked? Also was wondering, and I don't know much about genetics so forgive me, is it possible for a gene to be piggybacked on another? Like to get a certain desirable trait, you can't get it without certain other traits that someone decided they didn't like but since they go together you can't breed one without the other?

Grace, I know nothing about the genetic text, but I have some knowledge of what will happen if you breed one female to one male. The APA has their SOP and that is what they go by when they say you can have this and you can not have that. This is something that in the USA is not going to change regardless if it is right or wrong. Nothing say we can't breed them any way we would like, it is just if you plan on showing or selling show quality producing eggs you will have to breed to the APA SOP. Not saying I like all the terms but what is a person to do if we do not like them, Don

Yes, I understand perfectly the APA has their SOP. Just wanted to know how they come about deciding what is or is not accepted on their SOP. Personal preference or are they actually understanding the genetics behind their decision? But, seems we will never know.

Quote:
Grace, I know nothing about the genetic text, but I have some knowledge of what will happen if you breed one female to one male. The APA has their SOP and that is what they go by when they say you can have this and you can not have that. This is something that in the USA is not going to change regardless if it is right or wrong. Nothing say we can't breed them any way we would like, it is just if you plan on showing or selling show quality producing eggs you will have to breed to the APA SOP. Not saying I like all the terms but what is a person to do if we do not like them, Don

Yes, I understand perfectly the APA has their SOP. Just wanted to know how they come about deciding what is or is not accepted on their SOP. Personal preference or are they actually understanding the genetics behind their decision? But, seems we will never know.

Grace, do you have a copy of the APA SOP if you do go to page starting with#28 and it explains all the breakdown with the Faults. They will never change the SOP to accommodate just the Marans. The MCCUSA has total say on what is in the Proposed Standard and if you are not a member that is in the click you will have no say ther either. I realize it isn't right but what would you like to see happen. You have more pull than myself. Don

Quote:
The first two going in to APA are the BC and wheaten second, next the cuckoo and white, the more rare colors will need more breeders involved. There are very few Blue Wheaten around at present but down the road sometime. Don

Quote:
I would love to see what a splash wheaten looks like also...

Okay so a splash wheaten would come from a blue wheaten x blue wheaten or blue wheaten x splash wheaten...is that right? So someone with blue wheatens needs to cross them lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom