Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Pics
Quote:
I would love to see what a splash wheaten looks like also...

Okay so a splash wheaten would come from a blue wheaten x blue wheaten or blue wheaten x splash wheaten...is that right? So someone with blue wheatens needs to cross them lol.

Yes.

Splash Wheatens basically look almost white or a very light blue where the black would be. There are some Splash Wheaten Ameraucana photos you can search up. Splash Wheaten females are pale, and have whitish feathers in place of the normally blue or black ones.

This spring I'll have some blue wheaten x blue wheaten breedings.

My eventual goal is to have a Splash Wheaten cock as the sire of my flock, I think the color is beautiful and to me having a splash bird when breeding for blues is a invaluable part of your breeding program.

My English Orpington cockerel is a splash boy, I've got him paired with blues of varying shades and black pullets.

ETA: This is a Splash Wheaten Ameraucana, owned by Peachick, for those of you trying to imagine what a Marans this color might look like.

3034800069_00cf072546.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Exactly. I am out. The standards writers in the Marans Club USA don't have a firm enough grasp on the genetics of the birds they're working with. I really hope they don't come up with a standard that is a genetic impossibility. And I hope Don doesn't get into the short toe problem (if he can get the white tail tuft problem all figured out). If the standard requires a full length outside toe (and some are claiming that it does), there's going to be a lot of people scrambling to find some long toed birds with feathers.

Again, no one is coming forward and stating that they have a Wheaten Marans without a white tuft at the base of the tail. If one can't be found, how, HOW can that be in the standard? We've got to have some of the birds to show before we can get the Wheatens approved. Isn't that right? We have to show the birds living up to the standard at a qualifying meet, right?

Omg I love that blue wheaten splash roo. Look how pretty his light blue beard looks next to the copper coloring!
love.gif
Thats it..way too much torture lol. Dh and I have been working on a coop this week for the new chickens that we are picking up. Then next week I am starting some wheaten breeding pens. I may just have to get some blue wheaten ameraucanas too. Geez does it ever stop? LOL

i kind of agree but then i dont . like i said b4 it has to be a cut in points 8 points
but there is nothing wrong with it being unabtainable
it should always be something ti strive 4

Quote:
Exactly. I am out. The standards writers in the Marans Club USA don't have a firm enough grasp on the genetics of the birds they're working with. I really hope they don't come up with a standard that is a genetic impossibility. And I hope Don doesn't get into the short toe problem (if he can get the white tail tuft problem all figured out). If the standard requires a full length outside toe (and some are claiming that it does), there's going to be a lot of people scrambling to find some long toed birds with feathers.

Again, no one is coming forward and stating that they have a Wheaten Marans without a white tuft at the base of the tail. If one can't be found, how, HOW can that be in the standard? We've got to have some of the birds to show before we can get the Wheatens approved. Isn't that right? We have to show the birds living up to the standard at a qualifying meet, right?

Quote:

Pretty boy, but I see the cottonball and a couple of white sickle feathers as well (in the second pic). Being 5 months old, he may molt them out in his adult molt?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom