When did you know that you were turning into your mother or father?

Quote:
Mine were in Africa, so when those "save the children" commericials came on about feeding them for the cost of a cup of coffee came on she could point.....

Somehow I don't think starvation could make her cooking appitizing (boiled mushy spinach and a cup of vinegar is NOT a side dish, it's a bio wepon).

Mr Saddi said in his house the starving children were in Ethopia, and he would offer to put his dinner in a baggie and mail it (his momma's cooking, let's say it's a good thing she's a looker ok?)

yuckyuck.gif

I figure if they want to skip a meal fine, that's a few bucks less in the feed bill....
We don't do "make up" dinners here, except for the few occasions where it was a new recipie and everyone hated it. Once they were all eating whatever the new food was, I sat down about 3 minutes later; was making up some iced tea, took a bit and said, "my god that's awful!" and they all smiled. The boys didn't want to hurt my feelings so they were all going to eat bad food to spare them, I took them out for pizza.

one thing I haven't said yet: shut up before i give you something to cry about(which he must have forgot the spanking he gave us that made us cry in the first place)

Last edited:
i'm more like my dad....have to have every thing done in a timely manner... oh it kills me if dh takes 3 days to mow the lawn....i've got to get 2 acres done by push mower in perfect manner in one day....and yes i will redo the parts my husband half ass did...but that's my dad in me

We are not really acting like them...but we're starting to look like them!

I started looking like my father a long time ago. I had some "official" black&white photos of myself in my Army uniform, and I looked just like pictures of my dad in his Air Force uniform. The uniform styles never change, the haircuts don't change, there was really nothing in the photos to place where they were in time.

Acting like him is another matter. It was many years later before I heard myself wandering the house, exclaiming to nobody in particular "who left ALL THESE LIGHTS ON???!!!"

I think kids turn you into your parents, just as you turned them into theirs.​

Neither I nor DH have turned into either parent, something for which I am profoundly grateful. I asked him to shoot me when the dementia sets in, and I hope he follows through...

I have always been more like my grandparents than like my mother, really--even when I was a young'un, I had to be the practical one who cooked a nutritious dinner, raked leaves, etc. I still tell her to put on a warm coat, wear sensible shoes (she has hammertoes and bunions, still doesn't wear sensible shoes!), don't eat that junk, be careful with money, etc. She still acts like she's 17 and doesn't listen though.

DH is the same way with his dad: "That woman isn't good enough for you, quit smoking, wear your hat, take some exercise instead of laying around the house..."

When I found myself dancing and singing along with Tevya, "If I Were A Rich Man" from Fiddler on the Roof, I knew I had become my father. When I marched around the living room to 'Scotland the Brave' played on bagpipes, I knew I had become my father. When I yelled at my son, felt guilty, and offered him a bowl of ice cream, I knew I had become my father. When I called a bad driver a "Simple Sh**", I knew I had become my father.

Im far from old so i didn't follow "you turn into your mom/dad when you get old"... But i can't remember a age i haven't been called "little Jimmy" at some point. With the same respect i also act like my grandfather, it's hereditary i guess to joke/annoy people... At least i don't unscrew salt and pepper shakers like my grandfather though- yet...

when I was walking into the library, saw my reflection in the glass door and turned around because I thought it was my mom's reflection and that she must be standing behind me.

Back
Top Bottom