When do chickens molt?

Its not normal I guess, but I had one molt last year at 7-8 months. she was sick just before that, so I figured it was related, but who knows? Is yours sick or under stress? If not, most likely it is what it is. all chickens are different. Make sure she is eating and drinking. Try to give electrolytes, may have to bring her special treats to get her to eat.

I've noticed this morning my blue splash Marans started having all this pin feathers on the neck. I thought at first she has some dirt on her neck and she is kind isolating herself on the run roost.

Is it possible that my barely 8 months old Marans is molting already?
Yep, it's possible.
Had she laid yet?

Yep, it's possible.
Had she laid yet?

She laid since August then stopped a month ago (all my Marans stopped laying) she seems healthy eating, drinking just trying to avoid others probably protecting her pin feathers from the others pecking. My 2 molters did that for couple of weeks, doesn't want to be touch or be near other.

Last edited:
They often don't feel so good during a molt, the pin feathers can be uncomfortable and they will isolate and rest more.
Increase their protein to help grow the feathers out more quickly.

Its not normal I guess, but I had one molt last year at 7-8 months. she was sick just before that, so I figured it was related, but who knows?  Is yours sick or under stress? If not, most likely it is what it is. all chickens are different. Make sure she is eating and drinking.  Try to give electrolytes, may have to bring her special treats to get her to eat.

She seems normal eating and drinking just wanted to be left alone. Just wondering how early for 8 month old to molt. Only 4 of my 18 month olds (first batch hens) had molted,

I've had several pullets molt at 9 months old, so yes, an 8 month old could molt. It's generally a light molt, but enough to disrupt laying. Feeding extra protein will help get them through it quicker.

I've had several pullets molt at 9 months old, so yes, an 8 month old could molt.  It's generally a light molt, but enough to disrupt laying.  Feeding extra protein will help get them through it quicker.

Wow good to know, since I'd only been raising chicken for 18 months now. Lots to learn and I enjoy learning.

I have 6 hens. 3 red sex link, one barred rock and two EE. I get 4-6 eggs a DAY, despite the cold and one is molting. That one is an EE and lays speckled eggs and she is still giving, although today's egg had the speckles all on one end! Mine are free range and in a tight house at night. Feed laying formula and scratch grains. The rest they rustle up themselves. Live on farm in SW VA.

I'm glad to see the pictures on here !! I had a chicken end up almost completely bald and thought there was an issue with her. She's in my house right now in a dog crate because our nights are getting pretty cold. Well, they were getting cold but now are warmer. In any case, I'm wondering how soon I can put her back out. Do I need to wait until all of her feathers are back or is it okay to try to start reintroducing her in the quarantine section out in the coop? Naked chickens are scary to see when you are first starting out !!

I'm glad to see the pictures on here !! I had a chicken end up almost completely bald and thought there was an issue with her. She's in my house right now in a dog crate because our nights are getting pretty cold. Well, they were getting cold but now are warmer. In any case, I'm wondering how soon I can put her back out. Do I need to wait until all of her feathers are back or is it okay to try to start reintroducing her in the quarantine section out in the coop? Naked chickens are scary to see when you are first starting out !!
Best not to have taken her out of the flock at all...unless she was being drastically picked on.
How long has she been inside?
How cold is 'pretty cold'?
I would put her back out with the flock, in the crate if she's getting picked on.

Back
Top Bottom