White Leghorn, the forgotten breed

Tonight in the tree...

Fred REALLY likes high places. The first time she went exploring, she ended up on top of the coop (the peak of the roof is about 10ft tall)...Next, she and one of our Easter Eggers perched on top of our 8ft fence. This evening, as I went to make sure they were in the coop for the night (which they do automatically, most days), I found her perched (more like stuck) in the tree near their coop (approximately 12ft high). Is this common practice for White Leghorns? Should I be worried she wants to fly the coop?

A week ago, on the coop...

- TieDyeMommy

Last edited:

Tonight in the tree...

Fred REALLY likes high places. The first time she went exploring, she ended up on top of the coop (the peak of the roof is about 10ft tall)...Next, she and one of our Easter Eggers perched on top of our 8ft fence. This evening, as I went to make sure they were in the coop for the night (which they do automatically, most days), I found her perched (more like stuck) in the tree near their coop (approximately 12ft high). Is this common practice for White Leghorns? Should I be worried she wants to fly the coop?

A week ago, on the coop...

- TieDyeMommy
lightweight breeds tend to do this because they are able to fly better than the heavier breeds. try clipping the wings. i would recommend clipping only one wing.

lightweight breeds tend to do this because they are able to fly better than the heavier breeds. try clipping the wings. i would recommend clipping only one wing.

I was hoping to avoid clipping wings, but if this persists, she might actually escape (accidentally). Thanks!

- TieDyeMommy

Hey everyone! I didn't buy a white leghorn at my feed store b/c I heard they have weaker immune systems than other breeds b/c they contribute so much to laying. Is this true?

Never heard of that. I would guess egg laying does take a toll on their bodies but not so much that they die or affect the immune system. As long as they have a proper diet and clean environment they should be as healthy as any other hen.

Never heard of that. I would guess egg laying does take a toll on their bodies but not so much that they die or affect the immune system. As long as they have a proper diet and clean environment they should be as healthy as any other hen.

What about Mareks disease? The person who told me that said they die in large numbers if housed together of Mareks disease?

What about Mareks disease? The person who told me that said they die in large numbers if housed together of Mareks disease?
HAHAHA I get it now! okay so, this breed is the one used for commercial egg farms and they house thousands of these birds in really small "cubicles" and IF mareks disease gets to them it spreads like wildfire infecting and killing them all. That's why those birds are religiously vaccinated and medicated. but it's not because of the breed itself, it's the large numbers and confined spaces that gets them.

HAHAHA I get it now! okay so, this breed is the one used for commercial egg farms and they house thousands of these birds in really small "cubicles" and IF mareks disease gets to them it spreads like wildfire infecting and killing them all. That's why those birds are religiously vaccinated and medicated. but it's not because of the breed itself, it's the large numbers and confined spaces that gets them.
Ah, got it! Thank you for that clarification. But where do the hatcheries get their stock? From those thousands of caged birds? And would weak immunity possibly be carried down?

Ah, got it! Thank you for that clarification. But where do the hatcheries get their stock? From those thousands of caged birds? And would weak immunity possibly be carried down?
Hatcheries have their own birds, the ones used commercially for eggs are not exactly the same ones sold by hatcheries. The commercial farms have lots of $$$ and hire geneticists to produce the best layers possible, maybe even with artificial gene modification.

Hatcheries have their own birds, the ones used commercially for eggs are not exactly the same ones sold by hatcheries. The commercial farms have lots of $$$ and hire geneticists to produce the best layers possible, maybe even with artificial gene modification.
Iiiinteresting...gene modification eh? GMO chickens.
roll.png
What are they gonna come up with nxt?

Anywho, thanks ma'am for you clarification, and your avatar is very life like by the way!

Back
Top Bottom