White Leghorn, the forgotten breed

Nope; no artificial genes; just very closely held breeding lines.

Hatcheries also sell different commercial lines; some will tell you if you the source of their parent stock if you call. Others, like Dunlap in Idaho, use more than one commercial strain - in their case both Bovan and DeKalb whiltes. The hatchery signs an agreement with the genetics firm and receives some of the parent stock from the genetics firm.

I had gotten a question once about whether my WL's were 55s or pearls. I just answered honestly that I didn't know what that meant! Lol, the only thing said in reply was that one type lays better than the other. I don't delve too deeply into genetics if it is in reference to it but anyone care to answer the difference for me? My girl lays 6 eggs every 7 days which is what I hear from just about everyone that has WL. Sometimes the subcategories switch things up:)

I had gotten a question once about whether my WL's were 55s or pearls. I just answered honestly that I didn't know what that meant! Lol, the only thing said in reply was that one type lays better than the other. I don't delve too deeply into genetics if it is in reference to it but anyone care to answer the difference for me? My girl lays 6 eggs every 7 days which is what I hear from just about everyone that has WL. Sometimes the subcategories switch things up:)

That's a good question. I know Hyline "branded" hens have a numeric prefix:
http://www.hyline.com/aspx/products/productinformation.aspx
And I've seen advertisements for "Pearl Ghostly Whites" advertized in some of my old Pacific Poultrycraft magazines from the 1920's. I do not know the origin of the breeder, and have searched also.

Some hatcheries have strains they sell by name: Murray McMurray sells the "pearl-white"; Meyer hatchery only notes they source from a commercial strain; Ideal has a strain they call the 236; Dunlap uses two specific commercial strains for its source, and so on. Some hatcheries sell pure, identifiable, commercial lines. Babcock claims that beak trimming is not required for all management systems (less pecking occurs in traditional laying cages than in free range, floor range, or enriched cages - contrary to popular rumors that state otherwise), while most other commercial strains have management information that strongly encourages beak trimming. None of this is surprising, given that researchers have done quantified and qualitative studies on pecking and have identified the impact of differences in living conditions as well as differences in aggression between different common strains.

hey guys my leghorns are growing fast but i have 2 roos and 4 girls and i have noticed the girls going into straw and making a nest and just sit there and also there face is turning red and is mostly red and also i cought the boys mating with them so should i be looking forward to seeing eggs in a few weeks bc they are only 4 months old

hey guys my leghorns are growing fast but i have 2 roos and 4 girls and i have noticed the girls going into straw and making a nest and just sit there and also there face is turning red and is mostly red and also i cought the boys mating with them so should i be looking forward to seeing eggs in a few weeks bc they are only 4 months old

My Leghorns are only 17 1/2 weeks and I think one of them is laying...is this possible?? So early

Fred's comb is coming in nicely. Any guesses how old she is (I think maybe 16wks-ish)?

Hello,

I am in West Central Pennsylvania and am in search of White Leghorn Hatching eggs... if anyone knows of a source in my state that would be great, though I am also willing to get shipped eggs from an established flock. I know I can get eggs from most hatcheries but would prefer sourcing from an established flock of hardy birds.

If anyone has sources or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. PM me if you would prefer.

Thanks!

PS... these are intended for a broody hen, a friend who has had WLHs in the past would really like to have some more, so thought letting my broody raise them and then giving them to him would be a win/win!

Back
Top Bottom