White Leghorn, the forgotten breed

Question:
hu.gif

Is it common for White Leghorn hens to have combs that fall over one eye? Our hen's comb is beautiful, and doesn't appear to bother her, but it is big and flops over her right eye. I haven't really seen any images of hens with this kind of comb and wanted to make sure it's not something I should be worried about.

Thanks in advance!
smile.png
depends on which leghorn variety. leghorns are known for their oversized combs

Question:
hu.gif

Is it common for White Leghorn hens to have combs that fall over one eye? Our hen's comb is beautiful, and doesn't appear to bother her, but it is big and flops over her right eye. I haven't really seen any images of hens with this kind of comb and wanted to make sure it's not something I should be worried about.

Thanks in advance!
smile.png
Yes! Some Leghorn varieties do have a "lopped comb" as it is called. It is undesirable in most other breeds. :)

Yes! Some Leghorn varieties do have a "lopped comb" as it is called. It is undesirable in most other breeds. :)

I think "Fred" (my daughter named her) has a lovely comb...and, since I hadn't seen many images of White Leghorns with "lopped combs", I think it looks quite unique. I'll try to catch her and take a picture ASAP. They are either camera shy or camera hogs...depending on the day. Ha-ha!
cool.png

I am pretty sure my girls are white leghorns but the lay nice brown eggs from creamy white to dark with speckles. Are they mixed with something perhaps. I did not purchase them myself and I was never told their breed by anyone with experience.

I am pretty sure my girls are white leghorns but the lay nice brown eggs from creamy white to dark with speckles. Are they mixed with something perhaps. I did not purchase them myself and I was never told their breed by anyone with experience.

Those are white rocks, or A special hybrid from TSC

Last edited:
We have two White leghorns. They are 14 or 15 weeks old. My daughter (she is 6) picked them out and named them sugar and flower. Here is a picture of flower. By the way I just love them, they are very sweet.

Question:
hu.gif

Thanks in advance!
smile.png
Single comb Leghorns of all color varieties combs lop over.

In single comb Mediterranean breeds, including Leghorns, Anconas, Minorcas, Penedesencas, Andalusians, Empordanesas, Bresse, Catalanas, Castalanas and Prats the hen's combs flop over and the roosters combs are erect.

Leghorns always lay white eggs.

This is why I love these forums. So much good info! I now know I have White Rocks. What other than the egg color is different between the leghorn and white rock, visibly that is? I keep looking at pictures and the only thing I see is body shape/size and maybe more erect tail feathers in the leghorns. Maybe red ears too? Can someone list their(leghorn)traits for reference? That would be helpful. Thanks again for all the good info guys.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom