White Leghorn x Easter Egger Americana

BoiseChik

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 11, 2013
Boise Idaho
Hi, I have a question, I am thinking about breeding my white leghorn hens with my Easter egger rooster. I remember reading a while back that some people are intentionally breeding this cross for desirable characteristics. Does anyone know anything about that? Does this cross have a particular name?

Super Blue Egg Layers.

that's an Ameraucana x Leghorn. using an Easter egger is more of a wild card, especially as the rooster. You can't see what color egg shell genes he carries, so you may get some brown eggs in the offspring.

I have some pictures of this cross to share now and I'll check back in with egg photos when the gals start laying.

Here is my Easter Egger Roo, hoping he's carrying a copy of the blue egg gene; his comb says to me he's carrying one of another color as well.

Chicks came out looking like white leghorn chicks with little black flecks all over, there was also one oddball buff colored one.

Theres a couple EE x BO hanging out in this first photo.
Two EE x WL cockerels are feathering out white with read leakage, especially on their wings, three pullets are feathering out white with black flecks and some red leakage, then theres the oddball one that turned out buff with white lacing.

Wondering if one of my white leghorns from TSC isn't really a white leghorn...this buff one has me really confused about the whole dominant white business.

My understanding is dominant white only acts on black. It turns black into white. If you look at that last bird, and mentally change the white to black, the coloring is pretty similar to the father.

Black is usually dominant over red, and with the white turning black to white, that's why you're getting mostly white birds. But, your rooster looks like a color mismash, quite possibly with some buff in there. Buff is also a dominant color, it holds it's own against black a fair amount of the time.

LL

And I don't know why, but roosters with straight combs and muffs just crack me up
gig.gif
Not sure why I find them so amusing, but I've had a few and just couldn't keep from giggling when I looked at them......

That is one of the cutest chickens I have ever seen!! I also have an Americana/ EE rooster, my hens are white leghorn, light Brahma, a black sex link and Isa Browns. I am really not sure what to expect from their off spring, what color eggs or birds Ill end up with but it will be fun to find out!!

Back
Top Bottom