WHO IS EXPECTING APRIL CHICKS?????

Our 2 leghorn girls and barred rock girl arrived today from Meyer. They're drinking, eating and pooping great so far. They took a power nap under the electric hen but are back up. They act tired, but fighting it. Praying they continue to do well.

Mine really like the MHP setting and still sleep under it at the highest setting at night. They are going to be 3 wks old on Monday:)

The last of my April chicks are on their way. One EE hatched in the night.. 3 eggs with pips since last night and then 17 more eggs to go.. hatch date is today so we shall see....

Cute chicks!! What's a "whitish true blue"?

Don't know if you were looking at my post or if I missed something. Whiting True Blue is a line (not breed) being offered by McMurray that is supposed to lay blue eggs.

"Dr. Tom Whiting, a poultry geneticist specializing in developing feathers for the fly-fishing industry, developed the Whiting True Blue. With his broad background in poultry genetics, he developed this breed to lay a consistent blue egg as you can see in the photo. These are not Araucanas, Ameraucanas, or 'Easter Eggers', they are their own breed. The birds will have varying feather patterns and coloration, which will add color and beauty to your flock.

They will breed true for egg color, but will segregate into a myriad of plumage colors. Leg color will vary with plumage color.

Egg size will start out with medium size eggs and progress to large eggs given adequate nutrition.

There will be limited numbers available, so order early if you would like to receive these unusual birds in your flock"

Last edited:
Don't know if you were looking at my post or if I missed something. Whiting True Blue is a line (not breed) being offered by McMurray that is supposed to lay blue eggs.

"Dr. Tom Whiting, a poultry geneticist specializing in developing feathers for the fly-fishing industry, developed the Whiting True Blue.  With his broad background in poultry genetics, he developed this breed to lay a consistent blue egg as you can see in the photo. These are not Araucanas, Ameraucanas, or 'Easter Eggers', they are their own breed.  The birds will have varying feather patterns and coloration, which will add color and beauty to your flock.

They will breed true for egg color, but will segregate into a myriad of plumage colors. Leg color will vary with plumage color.

Egg size will start out with medium size eggs and progress to large eggs given adequate nutrition.

There will be limited numbers available, so order early if you would like to receive these unusual birds in your flock"

Thanks. I didn't know about this line

I added four more Sicilian Buttercup pullets and 3 red silkie bantams to the brooder today, just squeaking in as April chicks. This should give me 10 SB pullets and one roo total for a starter breeding flock. Hatchery quality, but since I don't have interest in showing it should be fine. Goodness knows I have enough Silkies and Cochins to set eggs for me if the SBs don't show interest! Next spring should be a fun time for all.

I added four more Sicilian Buttercup pullets and 3 red silkie bantams to the brooder today, just squeaking in as April chicks. This should give me 10 SB pullets and one roo total for a starter breeding flock. Hatchery quality, but since I don't have interest in showing it should be fine. Goodness knows I have enough Silkies and Cochins to set eggs for me if the SBs don't show interest! Next spring should be a fun time for all.

That's nice! Did you get them from a hatchery or local feed store? I'm loving my Cochin babies.

Back
Top Bottom