Why are my poults dying?

NickyPick

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Pine Valley (New Waverly), TX
I received 20 poults last Thursday. So far, I've found 5 dead and another is starting to fade out. What is killing them? They came out of the box like a raging gang of mosh pit crazies. What is causing them to keel over?

I received 20 poults last Thursday. So far, I've found 5 dead and another is starting to fade out. What is killing them? They came out of the box like a raging gang of mosh pit crazies. What is causing them to keel over?
Are you feeding them turkey starter? Are they warm enough? What does their poop look like?

Yes and yes. I haven't noticed the poop much - it disappears in the shavings. What should I be looking for in the poop?
You need to provide a whole lot more information if you really want help. What kind of brooder are you using? What is the temperature measured at the bedding level? Are you using a teflon coated heat bulb? What is the turkey starter you are using and the percent protein?

Do the poults have a large enough brooder that they can freely go in and out of the heated area? Are the poults actually eating and drinking? Are they eating the shavings? If they are eating the shavings, are you providing them with chick grit.

Last edited:
Here's my brooder set-up. It's 95 degrees under the heat lamp. I've watched them all eating and drinking. They are getting game bird starter that is 28% protein.

Attachments

• IMG-1192.JPG
    IMG-1192.JPG
    579.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-1193.JPG
    IMG-1193.JPG
    618.7 KB · Views: 17
Turkey poults are bad at eating. A baby chick would help teach them to eat and drink.
A lot of people lose poults from them not eating and drinking.
Or you need to dunk their beek in the food and water several times a day.
Poults need a mom to teach them but a chick would help and now some electrolytes in the water would help them a lot. JMO

Back
Top Bottom