5-week-old turkey poults dying!

That's why I was not originally using it. But the corid has made no difference at all. I spent hours with the last poult getting the corid and water in it as often as I could (like every 5-10 minutes) and it still died. I've kind of given up hope that it will do this one any good either. I'm not even sure I'm treating them for the right thing anymore.

This poult was looking so weak I decided to give it a last ditch effort and try to give it some energy with some quick nutrients. So far it is looking a bit better rather than worse.

While Corid usually takes care of most coccidia, there are over 9 strains of coccidia and Corid does not cover every strain. There is another drug that will cover the ones Corid does not. It is a sulpha drug called sulfadimethoxine. I have not had to use it so I'm not sure where to purchase or dosage. You may have to call a vet or call one of the online vet pharmacies to inquire?? When an animal gets coccidiosis it is an emergency. They can die quickly. If I need to treat one bird, I treat all in that pen.

@casportpony Can you advise about where to puchase/dosages for sulfadimethoxine? I think I've seen you mention this, but can't find it now.

The poult with the swollen face, how is this one doing? I don't think that has anything to do with coccidia, may be respiratory.

Here is a good article about coccidia. Hope it helps.
https://extension.psu.edu/avian-coc...e species of,diseases in the poultry industry.

While Corid usually takes care of most coccidia, there are over 9 strains of coccidia and Corid does not cover every strain. There is another drug that will cover the ones Corid does not. It is a sulpha drug called sulfadimethoxine. I have not had to use it so I'm not sure where to purchase or dosage. You may have to call a vet or call one of the online vet pharmacies to inquire?? When an animal gets coccidiosis it is an emergency. They can die quickly. If I need to treat one bird, I treat all in that pen.

@casportpony Can you advise about where to puchase/dosages for sulfadimethoxine? I think I've seen you mention this, but can't find it now.

The poult with the swollen face, how is this one doing? I don't think that has anything to do with coccidia, may be respiratory.

Here is a good article about coccidia. Hope it helps.
https://extension.psu.edu/avian-coccidiosis#:~:text=There are nine species of,diseases in the poultry industry.
Thanks. Good to know. I also read that Corid is only effective at a certain stage in the life cycle of coccidia?
The turkey with the swollen face is an older bird in a separate flock. I was told he had been in a fight and the swelling was from that. I'm going to see if some antibiotics help him. He has no other symptoms and the swelling has stayed the same for weeks.

I also read that Corid is only effective at a certain stage in the life cycle of coccidia?

It is very important to start treatment immediately because by the time you see bloody poop the damage has started in the intestinal track. Then they don't properly absorb nutrients efficiently so death can happen quickly.

I was told he had been in a fight and the swelling was from that. I'm going to see if some antibiotics help him. He has no other symptoms and the swelling has stayed the same for weeks.

Weeks?? I would try antibiotics but since he recently joined your flock I would be concerned it could be something contagious to the others. Just watch all closely for signs of illness. If he or others die I would consider necropsy if possible. Birds can sometimes become 'carriers' of some disorders and never clear them completely although they may only show symptoms during times of stress. They can pass these things to other birds without showing symptoms themselves. The best defense is quarantine new birds for at least 30 days before adding them to your flock.

You could inquire about necropsy with your state vet's office now for future reference. Time is important when sending a body in. Do not freeze the body but double wrap with plastic and keep refrigerated.

Alabama State Diagnostic Laboratories website is https://agi.alabama.gov/animalindustries/avdl/

Phone is 334-321-8700 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. The laboratories are closed for normal business on Saturday and Sunday, and on State and Federal Holidays.

I hope you get is figured out. Good luck with all your birds!

Do sheep carry the different strains of coccidia that corid wouldn't kill? Don't yall have sheep there and are they in close proximity to the turkeys and any chance cross contamination could have occurred?

Down to two poults now and the older one is looking droopy. I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm worried something other than coccidia is going on. Here's a video. This is uh "perked up" compared to before I gave it a dose of Nutri drench with some herbs. 😬
Any thoughts?

Do you have a heat lamp on them?

Thanks everyone. The turkey poult that was all droopy on me yesterday is doing much better. I continued giving Nutri drench with garlic, oregano and thyme yesterday as well as water by syringe to make sure he was getting a certain amount and by the evening he was looking like normal and hungry! Still looks good this morning. No idea why this worked, just happy to save this one! They have been under a heat lamp.

The turkey with the swollen face has been here over a month now and was in quarantine that whole time. Still doesn't live with my chickens and won't. The other turkey and chickens that came with him have been doing great, no sickness there.

The new birds have been somewhat near the sheep but not in contact with them. These are not the birds that have been sick. I may do some more research on the different strains of coccidia though for future reference. We are trying to use whatever biosecurity measures we can when we go between pastures/coops/barns/etc. to keep everyone healthy. The only case of coccidia we have had on the farm before this was in a few baby goats and again they live in a separate space.

Thanks everyone. The turkey poult that was all droopy on me yesterday is doing much better. I continued giving Nutri drench with garlic, oregano and thyme yesterday as well as water by syringe to make sure he was getting a certain amount and by the evening he was looking like normal and hungry! Still looks good this morning. No idea why this worked, just happy to save this one! They have been under a heat lamp.

The turkey with the swollen face has been here over a month now and was in quarantine that whole time. Still doesn't live with my chickens and won't. The other turkey and chickens that came with him have been doing great, no sickness there.

The new birds have been somewhat near the sheep but not in contact with them. These are not the birds that have been sick. I may do some more research on the different strains of coccidia though for future reference. We are trying to use whatever biosecurity measures we can when we go between pastures/coops/barns/etc. to keep everyone healthy. The only case of coccidia we have had on the farm before this was in a few baby goats and again they live in a separate space.
Stop giving garlic. Garlic is harmful to poultry.

Back
Top Bottom