Why do you guys give your chickens apple cider vinegar?

m.kitchengirl :

What about homemade raw Apple Cider Vinegar?
I use organic apples to make it, and don't filter it or process it. It is a lot cheaper than Bragg's, and pretty easy to make - especially with all the apple pies I have to make in the next few weeks.

My opinion is that the homemade stuff is even better. Maybe that's because I make mine too, but from cheap frozen concentrate. You're right, it's so dumb easy to make it's almost humorous how much they charge for it in the store.​

I also add Durvex vitamins and electrolytes. Will it hurt to add the ACV along with the vitamins and electrolytes or alternate?

Quote:
My opinion is that the homemade stuff is even better. Maybe that's because I make mine too, but from cheap frozen concentrate. You're right, it's so dumb easy to make it's almost humorous how much they charge for it in the store.

Would you like to share how to make your homemade ACV from concentrate or otherwise? Please:)

You can also use some of the unpasteurized ACV with the mother from the store to seed apple juice or apple cider. It has the living organisms in it that turn the the apple cider to vinegar. It's like when you stir some yogurt with the active culture in it into milk to seed it, to make more yogurt.

It seems to be a popular and healthy idea to put ACV into the water but I have stainless steel waterers!! Do I need to switch to plastic ones?? oops.....I mean the galvanized steel like grandma used.

Last edited:
One of my birds had sour crop earlier in the year and I was recommended to use ACV mixed with plain yogurt as a treat to reduce the bad bacteria in the crop. She was better soon after I started the regimen. I still mix ACV in their water and give the yogurt treats now and then. The chickens love it.

I did NOT know about the ACV and metal waterers so THANK YOU for that info!

Back
Top Bottom