Why do you guys give your chickens apple cider vinegar?

That's what I've used, too. But folks tell me it lacks the "Mother," the part with the good stuff in it that you can't find at most grocery stores. I did call around and find 2 grocery stores that carry the ACV with the Vinegar, Bragg's brand. It's more pricey, but I think it might be interesting to try for a change. I figure I can buy one bottle of it and try it out and see how the chickens take to it. Who knows? Maybe they'll like the filtered kind from the regular pasteurized store brands better? But everyone seems to feel the Bragg's is far superior. But that academic mentioned it can harbor bad bacteria and E-Coli, unlike the filtered store brand. Although she did say that the chance of bad bacteria is lowered by the Ph of the vinegar, but if the Ph has lowered, for any reason, it could be hazardous. But I think I'll try it once, for the hens. I still don't know whether this stuff is good for roosters or not.

I just learned a bunch of new stuff. Before I used ACV for cooking and curing hiccups. Now I can give it to the chicks.

For hiccups just take a spoonful, you can follow it with water. Works like a charm. You can wait for the next hiccup and it doesn't come.

Last edited:
For those of you on the west coast, Azure Standard has Bulk Vinegar, Raw Apple Cider, Organic

http://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/466/
1 gal for 8.80
5 gal for 38.45 (as of 3/9/2012)

"Made from table grade, certified organic apples of exceptional quality. They provide exquisite flavor and full bouquet. Prepared the "old fashioned" way, without chemicals, additives, preservatives or water. Unpasteurized and unfiltered in order to preserve nutritional value. Natural sediment is the true sign of raw, unfiltered Vinegar and contains pectin, trace minerals (including potassium), beneficial bacteria and enzymes.
This is full strength (5.7% acidity). Undiluted. Unfiltered. Unpasteurized. Contains "Mother."
INGREDIENTS: Certified Organic, Raw, Unfiltered, Apple Cider Vinegar."

Is Azure Standard brand available in Utah, and, if so, at which stores?
Azure standard is a co-op in Oregon, but it delivers all around the west. Not sure if they go to Utah. The do deliver to Utah. Lots of great stuff, but you need to find a drop spot or set up a new one. Call them, to set things up, it easier than the website. http://www.azurestandard.com/drops/schedule

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on Azure Standard. Do they make an active culture yogurt that is good for chickens? I just buy plain yogurt, whatever is on sale at the time, but I'm wondering whether all plain yogurt is equal?

Back
Top Bottom