Why have chickens?

Repainting every two months? I was thinking of repainting a different color scheme every year just so I never really had to make a final color decision, lol, since I wanted white and the hubby got his red this time.

My leghorn was mean like that. Then I got him hooked on sweet tea. Now he comes when called and walks at my side while I do my chicken chores. He's even begun letting me pet him.

My leghorn was mean like that. Then I got him hooked on sweet tea. Now he comes when called and walks at my side while I do my chicken chores. He's even begun letting me pet him.

My little 10 weeks rooster is mean! During the day we put them in a separate pen away from the big ones and put them in their larger brooder at night. When I go to pick him up he starts pecking my shoes and raising his hackle feather.

Pros: They are irrestibly cute as chicks, and beautiful as adults
Watching them chase the one with the bug in her beak is endlessly entertaining
They are always happy to see you when you come out to the coop, and race to the door to greet you.

They are better than PROZAC! Have a bad day or feel in the "dumps", just come home, spend time watching them, visiting them, and the world is so much more FUN!
Yes, I'm not the only one! I call them my PTSD service animals. My wife thinks I'm a crazy chicken guy now. I have spent a ton of time with my birds and they love to spend time with me. If that makes me crazy, then so be it!

Even my DH who doesn't really like chickens says that they are relaxing to watch. A bit like goldfish, except far more entertaining & such little characters. : ) When I see my chickens roam in my garden I always think it makes my garden look peaceful somehow. Maybe because chooks can only roam in a safe place.

Yes, I'm not the only one! I call them my PTSD service animals. My wife thinks I'm a crazy chicken guy now. I have spent a ton of time with my birds and they love to spend time with me. If that makes me crazy, then so be it!
No you are not the only one. I have lots of animals from chickens to horses and some in between. The act of petting, watching, talking, interacting all lower your BP, reduce your stress life and make you live longer. Drugs need not apply when animals do the trick!!!

Agreed, just started a couple months ago
Built a co-op for three chickens, then bought six.
Enclosed a huge run then bought four more.
I'm now expanding the run by building a bigger coop on the side. So I can remove the coop from the run.

There's two Feed stores in Las Vegas that is still bringing in chicks. It's all I can do to not buy more.
Different breeds of course.

A lot of work, but fun and relaxing and keeps me off the couch.

I have 8 hens , mixed breeds. They are a year and a half old and I gather 6-7-8 eggs a day which makes it all worthwhile! They all seem happy most of the time except for this past winter , it was cold and snowy and also their 1st winter. Just watching them eat the treats they get is entertaining and enjoyable to have around.

If we were keeping cost per egg at this point, my DH jokes that $50/egg is a bargain. And he hasn't even been advised of my next plans!
lau.gif

People spend big on their dogs, cats --some are even building them their own rooms in new homes! But they think we're crazy to pamper our chickens. But at nearly 900,000 members on BYC, guess we're the only really sane ones!

Back
Top Bottom