Why is Purina feed "bad"?

RedBarnFarms Taste Of the Wild is one of eh foods I fed in my Rotation, But do some research huge rcall going on and My two Rotties got very sick, some have died and people are sick. Sorry not part of this thread but wanted to let the one poster know.

I feed Blue Seal Sometimes Purina and also my Local Feed store made feed. The Feed Mill Pellets appear much Greener then the others.

Last edited:
Three reasons I do not use Purina Feeds:

Expensive
Vegetarian (contains no animal protein)
Stinks like a chemical spill

I almost choke if I take a whiff inside a bag of Purina starter feed. One bag of their HomeGrown starter smelled so awful I refused to feed it to my chicks-I returned it for a refund. Blech!

I use Tucker Milling for starter/grower as well as the 16% mini layer pellets and on occasion, if I have a bunch in bad molts, their 22% Super Layer pellets. ALL contain good quality animal protein (porcine) and they smell fresh, no nasty chemical smell like the Purina feeds.

Last edited:
I've tried Dumore and I hated it, wasteful even it was made by Purina....looks like cheaper quality food to me because if I make comparison with Chick and Start...the color is different. So went back to Flock Raiser for everyone!

Yes I do know that :purina had several outsource companies that would produce under Purina brand name. If Purina sold their product to Land o Lakes and no longer carry it under their name, I would go for Land O Lake chicken feed! I didn't see any different than the animal protein added to all veggie feed, I just supplment my girls protein of my own. After all, its a win win for me!

Three reasons I do not use Purina Feeds:

Expensive
Vegetarian (contains no animal protein)
Stinks like a chemical spill

I almost choke if I take a whiff inside a bag of Purina starter feed. One bag of their HomeGrown starter smelled so awful I refused to feed it to my chicks-I returned it for a refund. Blech!

I use Tucker Milling for starter/grower as well as the 16% mini layer pellets and on occasion, if I have a bunch in bad molts, their 22% Super Layer pellets. ALL contain good quality animal protein (porcine) and they smell fresh, no nasty chemical smell like the Purina feeds.
All of mine smelled like corn. Sounds like you had a bad batch.

I use Purina feed. I buy it because it's really the only kind I can find without driving really far and spending a ton of money for non-GMO fancy Organic Feed. Everyone saying it's expensive must know something I don't because I can't find decent feed that's cheaper than Purina. My birds free range all day so I feed them the layer pellets as a supplement, and when there's less natural stuff to eat around the property in the winter I have to feed them about twice as much as I do during the summer. I don't think there's anything wrong with Purina, I would prefer that it be organic and not contain GMO if I was going to eat my birds, but I don't, I only eat their eggs so I figure it's good enough.

My husband recently made me buy Dumor because it was a little cheaper and you can tell the quality is decreased with the Dumor. It's powdery and the pellets aren't as big. (he's not going with me to the feed store next time!)

Last edited:
Everyone saying it's expensive must know something I don't because I can't find decent feed that's cheaper than Purina.
Around here Purina Layena runs 14.99 a 50 lb bag the mill that I use sells there mix for about 7.25 and 50 lb bag.
I can get a bag or Buckeye Big 4 for 10 to 12 bucks and it makes Purina Flock Raiser look like straight junk.

Big 4

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein, min. 20.00%
Lysine, min. 1.10%
Methionine, min 0.39%
Crude Fat, min. 3.50%
Crude Fiber, max. 4.00%
Calcium, min. 0.70%
Calcium, max. 1.20%
Phosphorus, min. 0.65%
Salt, min. 0.10%
Salt, max. 0.60%
INGREDIENTS Ground Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Porcine Meat Meal,
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Lysine, DL-Methionine,
Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Salt, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate,
Zinc Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3
Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K
Activity), Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine
Hydrochloride, Choline Chloride, d-Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic
Acid, Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Brewers Dried Yeast.

Chris

Hey...those prices listed are REALLY a lot less than what I pay. $18.99 for 50# of Nutrena 16% Crumbles. Is there something that I am missing? Where can I find this cheaper feed?!
smile.png

Cheaper feeds does not necessarily its better.

If you really want to compare, get two month's supply of each brand, and see how they utilitize the food, the smell, color of egg shells, etc. I've tried it with TSC's brand, my local feed mill brands, Farm and Fleet brands, but nothing so far beats Purina by far yet. Wanting to try Blue Seal to see if they are any different!

Back
Top Bottom