Why is Purina feed "bad"?

At what age would you start feeding them mash? Mine are from 5-8 weeks old now.

One of our local mill only sells ground feed (mash) in a layer formula. Thus, it is chocked full of potentially harmful calcium for an adolescent bird. Feed is feed, whatever "shape" it comes in, it all begins as ground powder, then gets shaped into crumbles or pelletized. No layer formula feeds before you see the first egg drop, that's my view.

Last edited:
I just called around and all our local mills carry only Purina brand except TCS which sell their own brand called Dumor. Has anyone used the Dumor brand from TSC? It's what I'm feeding mine at the moment. You'd think out of 4 mills one would grind their own 'high quality' food.
tongue.gif

I just called around and all our local mills carry only Purina brand except TCS which sell their own brand called Dumor. Has anyone used the Dumor brand from TSC? It's what I'm feeding mine at the moment. You'd think out of 4 mills one would grind their own 'high quality' food.
tongue.gif
Dumor is also Purina. It doesn't have the "anti-poop-smell" agent that Purina puts in their labeled products. DuMor is to TSC what Craftsman is to Sears, that's all.

I tried the local organic feed, but the chickens partially STARVED. It was super dusty, and it cost 30$ per 50lbs bag.

I only buy whats good for my chickens, and that is actually not going to make them starve. It's the quality that counts. I use Purina crumbles for my OEGBS and they're nice and healthy.

I use Nutrena 18% all flock for the rest of my flock. It's 18$ a bag so I have to work harder. And since the chickens can't free range anymore because of a bobcat problem, they have to eat more.

I have nothing against Purina, I've been using it for a long time, and it's a trusted brand.

Last edited:
I feed the purina to my ladies, I tried a local brand from a co-op and all my dark eggs went to light brown eggs. I switched back and after 2 months I am just now getting dark eggs again....that or my little marans have decided to start laying. LOL

Since I only go through a 50lb bag once a month, I do plan on trying some organic feed. It is about 30 bucks a bag and I have to drive about 30 miles to get it. It isnt exactly local but at least its made in Texas.

Slightly different question. I have a mixed age flock, if I feed Purina layer pellets, but I also feed scratch and oats, which they seem to eat more of, and they are free ranged, is that O.K. for the young chickens?

Back
Top Bottom