Will this work as Hatcher / Brooder???

hailstorm97

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2017
Midwest

It keeps pretty warm in there :)

It should! Just make sure they have room to get away from the light if it gets too warm. If they stay directly under it, it may not be warm enough. Observe and let them tell you.

It looks a bit too small but i dont know how much chicks you are keeping.The heat lamp may be too bright i would by a mama chick heating pad way better then a heat lamp.

Last edited:

It's a huge rubbermaid. I've seen people use 20 gal aquariums as hatchers brooders. I guess it would help to mention I'm raising Coturnix Quail so they will be very small. Also only a dozen fertile by day 7. I'm also switching to a red light bulb.

It's a huge rubbermaid. I've seen people use 20 gal aquariums as hatchers brooders. I guess it would help to mention I'm raising Coturnix Quail so they will be very small. Also only a dozen fertile by day 7. I'm also switching to a red light bulb.

Oh its quail?The space should be fine.Good a red heat lamp will be better.Have fun raising them.
smile.png

Last edited:
Theres a huge wooden piece over it to provide a shaded area. Probably what makes it look smaller than it really is.

Last edited:
The wood probably won't be necessary since the screen covers it all, and it may actually make it too warm. I'd try without it first. But definitely keep the screen. Quail can start to fly within just a few days! Hopped over my 14" brooder at about 6 days old. :D

I have the heating pad in the bottom of a small cooler. The eggs are in a carton container where they can be easily turned, sitting on a towel. the towel absorbs the heat from the metal rack, but the rack suspends it all from the heat and refillable container of water at the bottom. The eggs seperated from the others (3) are the ones that I think have blood rings. Otherwise all the other 11 are perfectly healthy :) also there is another digital temp reader out of picture, its probe is on the egg. Hygrometer at 44 in pic. Trying a dry hatch, I think it's doing well.

Day 4^

Day 8^

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom