Will this work as Hatcher / Brooder???

Thanks everyone for the great help! :) This afternoon marked day 14 and the itty bitty quail eggs have been taken from the egg turner and placed on a towel in the incubator at 45 - 65 % humidity. I swear I've already seen a slight wiggling egg, but then again that's probably just me getting over excited :p And so, lets see what this week gives us! Fingers crossed hoping my first time pays off guys! A lot of tedious work went into this and I'm praying it was worth it!

:fl good luck!

(and it's not unusual to see little bobbles when you first lay them down, as they are already starting to move into position)

Enjoy the show!! :)

Will the eggs actually more clearly bobble as time passes in lock down? Is lack of movement in an egg after lockdown and before hatching bad? When might I be able to hear them chirp in the eggs? They are Coturnix so 17-18 days of incubation is usually required or so I've read.

Will the eggs actually more clearly bobble as time passes in lock down? Is lack of movement in an egg after lockdown and before hatching bad? When might I be able to hear them chirp in the eggs? They are Coturnix so 17-18 days of incubation is usually required or so I've read.

Personally I see more bobbles, just after laying them down, and right before they start hatching. The couple days in between are usually very still.

Chirping can usually be heard after they pip the membrane, either internally, or externally... once they are breathing air.

I only hatched quail twice, a couple dozen the first time, 3 dozen the second time, and they mostly pipped and then zipped very quickly. Like less than 12 hours from pip to zip. Some even completed their zips in 15-20 minutes, once they got zipping! And I think all between days 16-18.

So far everything is very interesting to watch! Over half of the eggs have pipped! Some have larger longer pips as well and I expect a chick should pop out soon!

My first baby :) 1 hr or so ago I think

Here she or he is now lol such a cutie!
Perfectly healthy and at 16 days in!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom