Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

good afternoon,

I went up and down all the potato rows. only took a few minutes with the rototiller. then I adjusted the carb on the Homelite whacker and went after the weeds inside the greenhouse. it was wall to wall crotch high with weeds.
chewed those weeds down to green mulch. now I can go in and rototill them under and plant my tomatoes.
I looked like the jolly green giant when I got done. I rinsed myself off with the garden hose..

the corn and beans are up. I will wait a few days before I rototill them. the weeds are not too bad in the corn patch.

I do a little work, then come into the house, drink a little water, cool off and work up a little courage to go back out.
My break periods are longer than my work periods.

.........jiminwisc.......

I think the rhubarb would still be good to use.
we used to have a real nice rhubarb patch until a hundred chickens use some of it for their dusting bath.
this spring I manured it real good. It won't do it any good for this year's crop, but it should perk it up for next year.
I agree, the generation gap is about 8 feet.

I am still lurking, stalling so I don't have to go outside too soon.

I think I will take the weed-eater tiller and see if I can get it running. any job where I can set my butt down ..

Picked another 5 quarts of strawberries and a gallon baggy of shiitake mushrooms. Got the tractor moved. Broke a window out of it and replaced it with a screen for now. Daughter was a huge help for that one. Hot but I managed to do the basics + a bit. Weeded the tomatoes today.

Hi all,

Still alive and still bummed. Things are still a mess. I'll let you know when things are figured out more.

Hope the BASH was good and you made enough money on the raffle for next year. I bet there were a lot of comments about other people getting a chance to Win! lol

Saw people were looking for Green Goop recipe..... https://www.backyardchickens.com/messages/messages/view/id/2691122/box/73088
A few changes, Should have been 2 1/2 parts plantain. You can use whole, chopped or powdered herbs by weight. You can do it by bringing the herbs to a simmer and simmer for 5 min. stirring often then turn off, let steep for 6 to 8 hours and filter. I use muslin cloth and squeeze out every drop I can. The longest part is evaporating the water mix into the oil. After you've made a batch, you can mess around with what you might want to change for the next one.
When things settle down I need to make a batch for us!

Good Luck!

btw: the prices I gave were for some small jars I had before.

Night All.

Last edited:
good sunday morning,

I spent some time outside without a shirt on for the first time this year. Yes, I am a little sunburned. not too bad, though.

I took the carb apart on the Murray tiny tiller.
the diaphragm is stretched. Now I have to find a repair kit for it.

got all the weeds whacked inside the greenhouse. I guess I will have to use the big tiller in there as long as the small one isn't going to start.

I am going to abandon the straw bale planting and just use the bales for mulch.

something is taking my young pullets. I suspect a fox. the dogs are not doing their job at all..
somad.gif

..........jiminwisc.........
ETA: wow, what a slow day on chzheds.

I mowed lawn for a couple of hours.

then I thought I would try to start the Murray 12 inch cultivator.
Yesterday I did a half arsed cleaning without taking it off of the motor. I left the carb cleaner soak overnight. so it started. ran sluggish, but it ran, . Now I have to grind down a screw driver so I can get at the fast idle screw. It takes a real skinny screwdriver.

there were a ton of dead branches on the ground from the wind. I mowed around the big ones and over the smaller ones. after all, wood chips is good for the lawn, isn't it ?

....jiminwisc.........

Last edited:
An acne medicine causing facial hair is nothing. My all-time favorite Rx commercial was for the stop-smoking pill with a side effect of death. Yep, death will keep you from smoking, all right.
My favorite Rx commercial is for social anxiety meds that "may cause uncontrollable diarrhea".

Does she have a-fib???? From what you describe Jim it does sound like it....

I know Annie is in good hands and will be just fine!

CS, yes that is the one!

Took today off to visit with my brother and his family. Glad I did! It sounds like it is going to be a sticky one!

thumbsup.gif

Well, I finally just got home from the hospital. I had to leave Annie there for a couple hours more.

DD Barby just called. she is picking Annie up and bringing her home soon.

All went well.. her heart is steady and her vitals are all normal.

I helped her eat her breakfast/lunch/supper before I left.
she had nothing to eat since supper last night.

I caught a 15 minute nap in the waiting room. I think we will both sleep well tonight.

we ended up with 7/10 quail hatch. one escaped in the basement, so Jordan took only 6 home with him.

.......jiminwisc.......

Glad to hear she is doing so good.
Happy to hear she is doing well and everything is ok!

Some storm pics...

Before

After

yeah, camped in through that storm in a holey tent!

Hi all,

Still alive and still bummed. Things are still a mess. I'll let you know when things are figured out more.

Hope the BASH was good and you made enough money on the raffle for next year. I bet there were a lot of comments about other people getting a chance to Win! lol

Saw people were looking for Green Goop recipe..... https://www.backyardchickens.com/messages/messages/view/id/2691122/box/73088
A few changes, Should have been 2 1/2 parts plantain. You can use whole, chopped or powdered herbs by weight. You can do it by bringing the herbs to a simmer and simmer for 5 min. stirring often then turn off, let steep for 6 to 8 hours and filter. I use muslin cloth and squeeze out every drop I can. The longest part is evaporating the water mix into the oil. After you've made a batch, you can mess around with what you might want to change for the next one.
When things settle down I need to make a batch for us!

Good Luck!

btw: the prices I gave were for some small jars I had before.

Night All.
This link just take me to our conversation on buying your goop. Had you intended to link us all to the recipe?

All is good except Cookie is in heat and jumping fences!

This is done as "part" by weight, so you can do as little or as much as you want. I make quite a bit at one time so my small batch is a 4 oz or more for larger batches "part" but you can do less if you like.
Mom's Green Goop
2 1/2 parts Plantian
1 Calendula
1 Chickweed
1 Comfery root
1 Lemon Balm
1 Mullein leaf
1 St. John's wort
Made into a tincture. I like to use all powders if I can, then I can make 1 tincture with all the herbs. Other wise you should make them seperate and combine when done. This takes at least 2 weeks. Strain well, I use unbleached muslin. Measure your combined tincture, place in sauce pan. Measure out 1/2 the amount of Olive Oil as you had of tincture, poor over tincture. Simmer very lightly for several hours and stir often. The idea is for the tincture to evaporate threw the oil. When the tincture is gone or almost gone. Strain again. Melt in enough bee's wax to the consistency you like. I like it a little on the "stiff" side because when it's soft people seem to glop it on too heavy.
Good Luck!
Oops, forgot to let you know what I left out lol Citric Acid (powder) and orris root. These are the "preservatives" and "fixatives".
When I first started making it I started with whole herb and simmered /steeped it down. Strained, simmered, oil...etc. For a decent size batch it took about 2 days of cooking and straining. I found a similar recipe done with the tinctures (which I make myself) but was allot easier and quicker so I used that method with my formula. If you want a scent add a few drops of essential oil. Bees wax I get where I can find it. I got a good deal on Ebay once. It was New -old stock. Wrapped, but about 8 years old.... worked fine.

Thank you! Quick question; how much orris root and citric acid? Are all the herbs the leaves or are you using any of the flowers?

Thanks again!!!! We are all hoping you are doing well and things improve for you.

good rainy morning.

I like those commercials where they sneak in "seldom does death occur" . but it DOES , right ? once is enough for anybody .
and I would like to know who the guinea pig was that they found that out on. Whoops, sorry ...

If the rain persists, I will work on the Murray cultivator in the garage. I usually do my overhauls outside with the tractor bucket for my workbench.

Now our corn and beans are up. this rain should give them a good boost .

Back
Top Bottom