Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Evening All...Welcome one d good folks here...stop by often...always someone not asleep here...right Cind.

Kristip...what's the going rate from the tooth fairy these days....I remember that shiny dime under my pillow. The rate prolly has gone up some, eh!

That's funny unk....I could go on about all the uses for that rack....heck I'd give up my half for awhile LOL...glad you saved Terry's number...I think you could make a profit with a truckload for sure, if you could peddle the stuff right away. He has a vast variety of items.

We plant garlic around here on Columbus Day....Oct 8th this year.

Fired the grill for one of my thick cut ham steaks tonight...I just love the .99 per lb cost. Makes it taste even better. Boiled up some baby reds, and green beans. Picked a five gallon pail of them again....prolly give the rest to the neighbors tomorrow.

We had a brindle colored boxer female that only lived til 10 years old. We had to pick wood ticks off her all the time cause she was outside alot. She was a wonderful watch dog that would scare folks that didn't know her....call her name and she would wag her tail so hard that she shook half her body...we still miss her after all the years that have gone by...just sayin.

Back in the 70's and years before that, Weyauwega had it's own newspaper...It was called The Weyauwega Chronicle...I delivered print towels to their buisness...like most small town papers it went out of buisness. The owners were very nice... It was on east main next to where the gas station is now, again just sayin. Good Luck bl4....fill em full of good stuff!

Did Doc go north?

Have Fun...bigz

Bigz.. our tooth fairy gave a silver dollar. (and a book for the first one since it was special) I have friends who give $5ers out... I thought a dollar was more than fair. I think I got a quarter back in the day.

Unk...what growing conditions are best for the garlic then?

garlic likes a well drained fertile soil, mine is a sandy loam with an OM of around 4 and a high Ca content, pH around 6.8, planting is right on with biz's Columbus Day, I mulch with oat straw about 6-8" deep, gave it a couple shots of foliar/drench "fish and kelp" in May to get it going, then a couple heavy waterings during the 3 weeks we had no rain late May early June,,,,

then nothing at all till I harvested early July, I think it was ahead of normal a couple weeks with the warm spring,,,

basically the same soil and conditions for growing onions, if you do things right you only buy garlic for seed once, then keep your biggest for next year, I lean towards getting the initial stock from a reputable vendor,,,less worry about disease etc

the other comments are right on for info as well

The tooth fairy here gives a buck.......... when my kids were small it was 50 cents or a buck if the tooth fairy had a pay day that week.LOL
Anyway been busy today, garden was crazy again, picked 5 gallons of beans 5 gallons of cucs, 5 each of Jalapeno's and sweet peppers, and about a bushel of tomatoes, lets just say I will be busy caning this week.... need to do candied Jalapeno's or something with these things besides Salsa, peppers will most likely be cut up and froze for cooking, and will do my Dill relish with the cucs. beans I gave a bunch to the neighbor, and we ate some for supper, I will blanch and freeze the rest tomorrow.

Welcome Newby :welcome you will love it here!! a bunch of great folks on this tread......

My Boxer is still refusing to eat, I even tried a chicken breats and put it in his mouth he split it out, he has hardly moved from my side today, he keeps trying to wretch, and nothing is in there to come out but some foamy yellow slime, poor old boy I feel so horrible for him, I will see what the vet has to say tomorrow morning, but I think It isn't gonna be long and he will be crossing the rainbow bridge. Hre also has this yucky dry nose now, that had some slimy bloody stuff coming out tonight.
Don't know what I'm gonna do with out my shadows, Bugs and tigger are attached to me at the hip, if I go anywhere they just sleep on my bed all day and won't even eat......... I can't even use the potty without them. and speaking of vacuums, that would be my Tigger, she will eat anything even chicken pooh....yucky

BL4 nice looking boy, but I personally wouldn't own a saddle-bred, too high strung usually, and prone to ulcers and tummy trouble, kinda air heads too, now that I think about it. But they are beautiful.
I prefer an Arab myself, They are truly the smartest horses I have even worked with. And good at so many different disciplines, you can all most do anything with them.

So for now will let ya go, going to go pet my sick doggy............. have a good night everyone. Kim

Bigz.. our tooth fairy gave a silver dollar. (and a book for the first one since it was special) I have friends who give $5ers out... I thought a dollar was more than fair. I think I got a quarter back in the day.

I give the kids 2 golden dollars typically. The 6 yr old finally got the top snaggle tooth out today. Man I hated how he looked with one jack o lantern tooth sticking in there. I think he'll get 3 golden dollars this time ;)

Back to reading...

Last edited:
Ok guys... I have an egg eater. Gosh darn it! How do I deal with this? I don't know who the culprit is. I went and picked an egg out of a nest box, and the egg was wet. I looked real close, no egg shell in the nest box just some wet looking egg leftover.

HELP!!!

Re garlic planting date - it makes sense that people in Northern WI would need to plant it earlier than those of us in Southern Wisconsin... There's lots of info online or you could check with a local nursery or your local extension agent to get dates for your specific area if you can't figure it based on where we Cheeseheads live. This year I side dressed the sprouted garlic with some type of pellet fertilizer (as recommended) and I was pleasantly surprised by how much bigger my bulbs were. I also noticed that the bulbs that were planted further apart were significantly bigger than those planted closer, so I'll be paying closer attention to spacing this year rather than just planting willy-nilly. Mulch is imperative both after the ground freezes, pull it away in the spring and then reapply it after the garlic is up, you've weeded & the garlic is doing well. I've read garlic does not like to compete with weeds. Really easy to grow and rewarding as all get out for us garlic lovers. Once you grow it and taste homegrown, you'll never go back to store bought (which a huge amount of garlic comes from China!) Growing garlic can sound a little intimidating at first but it really is easy! Oh, the other thing to consider is how long you want it to last. There are two varieties a soft-neck and a hard-neck. One is good for braiding and keeps a lot longer and the other will start sprouting around Dec. at my house... One produces garlic scapes (edible, but should be removed so the energy goes into growing a bigger bulb and not the seeds that'll show up on the scape) and the other doesn't I forget which is which, but if it matters to you make sure you take that into consideration when you choose which ones to grow. I have very little garlic left by Dec. and I try to freeze it made into garlic butter or dehydrate it before it starts sprouting. You can still eat sprouted garlic but it's recommended that you cut out the green sprouts before eating it. You can also just plant the sprouted garlic in a pot and use it like garlic chives during winter. It won't produce a bulb for you if you keep cutting off the top but it's a fun way to have fresh garlic favor in the winter...

Hmm... all this garlic talk has made me hungry -- it's been too hot to eat but some fresh tomatoes, fresh garlic, sea salt and a little raspberry vinegar sounds yummy! Salute!
Elaine

ETC: (Edited to change) long-neck to hard-neck!
ETC: Northern WI would need to plant it later than those of us in Southern Wisconsin...changed to EARLIER than S. WI. (Whoops!)

Last edited:
BL4, i have to second Ghost on Saddlebreds, they are really high-strung. There was one at HRC when I was a wrangler; his name was Coe, about 23 years old and still figetety and a handful at that ripe age. A good boy, just needed a very strong rider.

What kind of books you like CC?

Sorry to hear about your pet dog Jodiea :hugs

My computer keeps freezing up. Hmm

That yellow stuff is bile ~ my dog did that before. They can do some blood tests. Hope things go well tomorrow at the vet. :hugs

I also have brain freeze so see you later.

Last edited:
just got off the phone with my garlic supplier, he had my order and is now out of stock, he shipped 300lbs to CO and another 600lbs to this place:

http://gourmetgarlicgardens.com/maplewood.html

he sells at the Wausau farmers market and will have some seed size available for the next week or so there if you're in that area

if you click on the homepage you can find other growers in the Midwest

it's the Hardstem that does best in WI, and it does produce the scapes for use early June, keeps around 5-6 months as Elaine says, I plan to dehydrate most of mine and make the rest into garlic pesto that I will freeze in cubes,,, I plant 6" apart in the row, and the rows 6" apart, in the center of a 6 row bed I leave a 12" space for light and air circulation. For a pelleted fert I would use a composted chicken manure Chickity Doo Doo is one common made in WI,,,,,my pellets come from my rabbits added when I build the bed in the fall they get tilled deep,,,then a 1"or 2" of compost tilled shallow. Here I planted shallow 1" of soil covering, patted down, watered deeply,,,then the mulch added,,,,warm spring didn't remove the mulch until 2 weeks b4 harvest. rotate planting areas year to year,,,,,

Heather I have had that happen a few times, never ended up with an egg eater yet,,,,think it mighta been a "missfire" (no shell) and it got eaten,,,,just sayin

time for ice cream and then the pillow calls me

Back
Top Bottom