YO GEORGIANS! :)

I cannot recommend these threads enough:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hatching-eggs-101.64195/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

It's totally nerve-wracking sometimes but also a lot of fun. I take getting my "babies" to the finish line to heart, so losing them hurts a bit. I do try to do egg-topsies and have tried to read up about what it means when there are losses at different stages to understand cause.
I used to try to help with hatches, but not anymore. More often than not, when a chick has trouble pipping and/or zipping, there is some kind of defect, congenital issue, or other problem in the mix. The chicks that I am able to save often only live a short time, and many chirp like crazy because they are distressed due to their condition. I've come to the conclusion that giving 10% of the hatchlings 90% of my attention isn't worth the effort. I'd much rather tend to the healthy hatchlings and let nature take its course with the rest. I know this isn't the policy for everyone, and it is an individual decision, but based upon my own experience, it's the policy upon which Lisa and I both agree.

I used to try to help with hatches, but not anymore. More often than not, when a chick has trouble pipping and/or zipping, there is some kind of defect, congenital issue, or other problem in the mix. The chicks that I am able to save often only live a short time, and many chirp like crazy because they are distressed due to their condition. I've come to the conclusion that giving 10% of the hatchlings 90% of my attention isn't worth the effort. I'd much rather tend to the healthy hatchlings and let nature take its course with the rest. I know this isn't the policy for everyone, and it is an individual decision, but based upon my own experience, it's the policy upon which Lisa and I both agree.

You definitely have to do what is best for you. I have helped a couple that have done so well I can't even remember which ones they were anymore. But, my main point in posting both links is that for a new hatcher (I count myself among them), having knowledge at the ready can be very reassuring. If you read that thread about assisted hatching you'll quickly see it's not very encouraging of intervention. Most of it explains that you should wait & only intervene in select circumstances. The hatching 101 is so helpful & the link to the current thread of very experienced hatchers is so valuable to me. I had a guy in Israel answer me at 2 am my time when I was in a panic. My main purpose in putting them out there for Missy was to put some ready made resources in place for her.

Well, I kept my eye on the one little egg from SOS that I am pretty sure is from her silkie. Yep, it has already pipped internally, so it is in the mini bator by itself. It may be lonely for a few days until the others hatch, which should be Sat/Sunday!

If it's a cream colored shell with a 'shiny finish' that's definitely from my silky! Wow, that IS early! Either that or I did my math wrong! I set mine Monday following the get together and have mine set to lock down on Thursday or Friday! Good luck, small Poof egg!

You definitely have to do what is best for you. I have helped a couple that have done so well I can't even remember which ones they were anymore. But, my main point in posting both links is that for a new hatcher (I count myself among them), having knowledge at the ready can be very reassuring. If you read that thread about assisted hatching you'll quickly see it's not very encouraging of intervention. Most of it explains that you should wait & only intervene in select circumstances. The hatching 101 is so helpful & the link to the current thread of very experienced hatchers is so valuable to me. I had a guy in Israel answer me at 2 am my time when I was in a panic. My main purpose in putting them out there for Missy was to put some ready made resources in place for her.
I understand your point of view, and we used to try to save as many as possible. Our strategy was to become as knowledgeable as possible about incubation and only intervene as an absolute last resort. Even if you do everything right, there are almost always going to be hatchlings with hatching issues. Many times the saved ones that do live on have chronic problems.

I know this may sound cruel, but we don't want to nurse along or keep struggling chicks, and I would cull them before I would pass them on to someone else. Again, this is just our policy regarding hatchlings. Some folks really enjoy nurturing their hatchlings, and I fully support their decision to do so. We each have to find a place in all this that works for us.

Dose anyone in the middle Ga area have any cemani ayams for sale?? My wife love these birds I would like to add some to our flock for her.

I understand your point of view, and we used to try to save as many as possible. Our strategy was to become as knowledgeable as possible about incubation and only intervene as an absolute last resort. Even if you do everything right, there are almost always going to be hatchlings with hatching issues. Many times the saved ones that do live on have chronic problems.

I know this may sound cruel, but we don't want to nurse along or keep struggling chicks, and I would cull them before I would pass them on to someone else. Again, this is just our policy regarding hatchlings. Some folks really enjoy nurturing their hatchlings, and I fully support their decision to do so. We each have to find a place in all this that works for us.

I understand your policy & as I was saying, I am simply trying to pass on information that I wish I had had prior to my first hatch. I don't care who you are---I think the instinct to save is there. We all modify our positions over time, but at least being armed with the best information allows you to make clutch decisions more intelligently.

Back
Top Bottom