YOGURT FOR CHICKENS ?

Quote:
Mine don't seem to like the yogurt either! I even took their food away to sort of force them to eat something and they barely pecked at it.

Quote:
Thanks for the post. Really looking forward to trying some.
thumbsup.gif

I read recently that Plain Yogurt, being a pro biotic, is excellent for chickens. Especially, if they are being wormed at all, or given anti biotics. It helps them recover faster from the antibiotics. Yogurt is full of calcium and protein, so if you're having a canobolistic problem, for instance, it's known to help chickens who may be needing more protein. I give my chickens it a couple times a week, just to make them happy and give them the added calcium and protein. They are really messy with it, so I get outta the way quick!
wee.gif

I give my chickens yogurt at least once a week as a probiotic. Recently my laying flock became ill and I had to medicate them. I gave them yogurt to help settle their tummies and because they were not eating feed or foraging. I think it helped them recover faster. I coaked them to eat their feed again by it in with yogurt. Worked like a charm. I use the plain organic yogurt or kefir and I make my own if I have good organic milk.

Last edited:
I have Jersey cows so my chickens and dogs get a lot of 'clabber'. They love it! Clabber is when you let raw milk sit out for a time and it becomes very much like yogurt. It has a really yummy mild taste and is used to make cottage cheese, and as a starter for things like cheddar and monterey jack. Good stuff. Yogurt is great too!

Just gave my chicks yogurt and OMG. I put a bunch in a cantaloupe rind (because when I tried giving it when they were a week or so old they wanted nothing to do with it) and they went nuts. Yogurt was flying everywhere! I had a bunch of spotted chicks.
lol.png
Is daily or every other day too often? I have a big tub of it that is dated 7-25.

Back
Top Bottom