Is weekly calcium citrate a bad idea?

No.
See if this makes sense.
Let's pretend that a chicken can only eat one cup worth of food per day. Let's pretend that is all that will fit in her belly.
Let's pretend she HAS to eat one cup worth each day.

Imagine that the pelleted feed has everything needed to keep her alive and healthy for ever but she must eat one whole cup worth per day.

If she is eating treats (treats are ANY and EVERYTHING besides the pellets) in the amount of 1/2 cup worth per day...she isn't eating well.

Pretend the treats, worms, kitchen scraps and all equal to candy, soda, chips and cookies.

Making sense yet?
Absolutely.
Given that.
I would assume that you are also against letting them free range?

Absolutely.
Given that.
I would assume that you are also against letting them free range?
Spend a few hours or weeks scrolling through the emergency forums. Pay close attention to how many birds have one issue or another and pay close attention to what their owner feeds them.

Spend a few hours or weeks scrolling through the emergency forums. Pay close attention to how many birds have one issue or another and pay close attention to what their owner feeds them.
I deleted my reply that came thru after this one.
Thank you for the pointer.
I will do that-

thank you for your reply this makes total sense. Keeping their egg shells or oyster shells as an option for them full time is still a good idea correct?
Yes. You may get the occasional bird that just doesn't intake enough (or with older birds, I find their system can get a bit wonky so they might need extra help just to get any eggs safely out of their system) but for the most part they can regulate themselves just fine by having the option of taking in eggshell/oyster shell.

l have no issue with free ranging.
I am all in favor of free range but I am interested in how that fits into the logic around eating one cup a day that you posted earlier to explain avoiding treats.
Mine seem to eat less commercial pellets when they free range. Basically they stuff their faces with whatever they find and then, just as you describe, don’t have any more room to fit in the commercial feed pellets.
I think you have to believe that when they free range they can get the same balanced nutrients that are provided in the commercial pellets, and to do that there must presumably be a good variety of foods to choose from when they free range.
I suspect free range on a monoculture grass lawn is a lot less balanced than free ranging where there are many different plants and insects to choose from.
Sorry - I have maybe derailed the thread which was about calcium. Just sitting here watching my chickens stuff their faces with some beetles they dug up and musing!

I totally agree with @Kiki due to experience with the issue of "treats/scraps" I had years ago with my hens. I'm in Hilo, HI ... feed availability can be stressful (shipping issues) & the cost. So many free range and feed scraps but the "extras" does off set the nutritional value of their feed that they require. Free ranging is a totally different idea ... I know of many that free range, feed commercial feed as a treat.

I am all in favor of free range but I am interested in how that fits into the logic around eating one cup a day that you posted earlier to explain avoiding treats.
Mine seem to eat less commercial pellets when they free range. Basically they stuff their faces with whatever they find and then, just as you describe, don’t have any more room to fit in the commercial feed pellets.
I think you have to believe that when they free range they can get the same balanced nutrients that are provided in the commercial pellets, and to do that there must presumably be a good variety of foods to choose from when they free range.
I suspect free range on a monoculture grass lawn is a lot less balanced than free ranging where there are many different plants and insects to choose from.
Sorry - I have maybe derailed the thread which was about calcium. Just sitting here watching my chickens stuff their faces with some beetles they dug up and musing!
I'm not talking about free ranging. I'm talking about feeding your birds treats.

Back
Top Bottom