You know you love your chickens when...

When you find a bunch of nasty maggots in your wheelbarrow and go pick up a chicken, carry her over and put her in the wheelbarrow to feast on the nasties. Funny thing is, when I let them out to free range the next day, she hopped into the wheelbarrow and started scratching around!

on maggots:... when you used to be grossed out by the occasional maggot or two on the rubbish bin in the kitchen in summer and now you welcome it and are delighted by every tasty little white protein nugget to present to the girls!

When you bring in a pullet that is sick and realize that maybe chicken diapers aren't such a silly idea after all!
lau.gif

when the husband goes home for lunch to let the dog out and asks If I need anything and my response is 'if the chicks look cold please turn the electric heater back on'

when you make your injured rooster (got poked in the eye) and broody hen a fluffy bacon, egg and cashew omelette before you even had coffee or breakfast. And of course you make a little extra for the rest of the flock as a special treat.

Back
Top Bottom