Retrofitting The Coops

By racuda · Jan 11, 2012 ·
  1. racuda
    Soon after I built coop #1 I realised that the run height was a big mistake. It was only 48 inches high, which meant that anytime I had to catch a chicken or clean out the run I had to adopt a back-breaking hunched over position. For very little extra money and time I could have made it full height so I could stand upright.
    Here's what it looked like right after I built it in 2009
    After two years of putting up with it I decided to retrofit the coop with a taller run.
    Even though the footprint remained the same, with 24 square feet in the coop and 48 square feet in the run, it feels much more spacious now.
    I liked it so much that I rebuilt coop #2 also.
    Besides the ease of cleaning out the run I discovered that another benifit of an easily accesible run is being able to just hang out with the chickens and feed them their favorite treat - mealworms.

    Share This Article


To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by