What do you wish you had known before you got your chickens

Wednesday

Songster
6 Years
Aug 3, 2013
Oviedo, FL
There is such a wealth of experience and information here. If you could go back and do it over again, what would you have done differently with your flock that might help others? Trying to save other newcomers like myself a lot of foolish mistakes and heartache. I foolishly tried to rescue sick adult birds before I knew that could infect your flock for the life of the birds and now face the possibility of having to cull my entire flock of 16 birds because of my mistake. If you would share tips, mistakes or suggestions, it would be much appreciated. I will only ever buy day old chicks from trusted sources or hatch my own eggs after the state NPIP inspector tells me what is wrong with my flock after I pay to send samples to the USDA lab. I am heartbroken.

Last edited:
Wednesday, it sounds like you may be one of those well meaning people who read advise posted here and who then tried to treat "Pasty Butt." You are not one of those people are you?

It is OK if you are because you did nothing wrong. The blame belongs to the people who gave you bad advise.

Beginners, it is so so much easier to keep your flock healthy than it is to treat just one sick or diseased bird.

No, I'm one of those people who thought keeping chickens would be easy and didn't do research on things like CRD when I offered to to take sick birds from a lady who had more birds than she could care for because I thought treating them would be no big deal.

That keeping chickens is like keeping a garden...there is ALWAYS something to weed, hoe, treat, correct, fix.

I cried buckets when my first coop burned to the ground and we lost all our newly laying hens (hens flying up to roost knocked over a flood lamp); So...we rebuilt and went to the natural broody method so no more heat lamps on extension cords.

I kicked myself blue when I brought in a 6 month old hen of a breed I coveted and she shared IB with the rest of the flock. I learned Isolation means at least 100 feet and downwind...IB carried across the yard on the wind to infect whole flock. Lost one hen; will have to cull another. I will never buy another older bird. I will only purchase day old chicks from reputable hatcheries or fertile eggs to brood under my broodies.

The constant ongoing battle with rats for the grain and hawks for the chickens. I've got traps out for rats; hawk netting up for hawks.

You get them laying good....and then they aren't....so you worm, fix better food, read up on how to improve their production. Get fresh chicks going to refresh the flock that is aging.

And if you want to sell eggs, you have to be within FDA/USDA approved meds and dewormers. So you read a lot....a LOT.

But I wouldn't change it...I simply have learned to accept the fact that while chickens are FUN...they are work...and it is still work I enjoy, so I have them.

When you get a basket of your home grown eggs, all big and beautiful and full of color...there is such satisfaction. I LOVE giving baskets of my eggs to friends for house warming gifts...and they love getting them. And those silly little raptors bring such entertainment to the backyard.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
One thing I've learned is to never give your chickens treats on your porch or deck. They will be back for more...daily...and pooping all the while. Nothing says "Welcome to my Home" better than chicken splats all over your front steps and door mat. The observant will step carefully, the not so observant will track it in. I unwittingly created an extra, entirely preventable, chore for myself.

^^^ uh oh. I found a paint scraper works for poop removal on concrete.

I also want to add-you will have favorites. And you will try not to let the others know, but youll always get a little giddy when the favorite greets you in the morning.

Haha on the poop on porch and back deck. Every time I take an outdoor shower now, a herd of chickens runs up and drinks the shower water. I try to shoo them off the back porch with the hose but they are tenacious.

Last edited:
Make sure your coop is 100 percent BEFORE buying your chickens.

And get the chickens you want...don't go for whatever chickens are around. Find healthy birds/chicks, from someone that cares and knows what they are doing.

That's what I would say. :)

Back
Top Bottom