Blood Test Results Pg 7 11/12 Lilly R.I.P.

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
Our 8.5 month old Light Brahma pullet was suddenly lethargic, eyes closed and not talking. She was merely sitting down under the coop. there are no wounds, I could feel no eggs in the shoot so to speak and nothing abnormal on her body. Her crop is small and no full or compacted that I can tell. She was acting fine when she went out this morning and all day when we checked on them..we found her when we went to put everyone up for the night. she will not stand up alone but has no injuries to legs or anything. she is on layer and she did lay this morning fine.

She is inside, being kept warm. She would not take water or scrambled egg and she would not take water when dropped on her beak. Any advice would be appreciated as you will see in the pictures, I have a very upset little girl here too. Here are some pics of our Lilly.

HPIM3758.jpg

HPIM3757.jpg

HPIM3758.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Cetawin, I am so sorry.
I can't offer any help, wish I could.
I'll be keeping your Lilly in my good thoughts. Sending well wishes her way. :aww

Bless your heart and your little girls too, I can see the tears in her eyes and it made me cry.

Is there any bubbles in her eyes.. ?? It can be a couple of things, it could be worms, and right now there is another disease with chickens that if you go on here and go to the Kentucky chat room or board , you can get the name of it , I am not for sure , but these symptoms so kinds of sound like those I read on there. I sure hope she gets better.. She is such a pretty little chicken. Tell you little girl that I know how hard it is , my own little girl who is 11 lost one of her favorite chickens last spring and it about killed her. Hope this helps, I did a search for diseased chickens in berea kentucky on here and found that thread for what I am talking about .

Oh Crud...I'm having Slifer flashbacks...
th.gif

Even though she laid this morning, to me it looks like her skin is paler than it should be...

Have you shined a flashlight in her eyes to see if they respond?

The only thing that doesn't seem right is how she's holding her head...could she have smacked her head on something?

Hugs and prayers for Lilly and your DD.

Thanks. Cheyenne is feeding her small pieces of scrambled egg as we speak. She is putting it in her beak and Lilly is swallowing it so we will see how it goes.

I have never wormed my girls so it could be worms. We have not lost one of older girl and it is really hard to go through this...they are our babies. I am as concerned about DD as I am the chicken at this point. She will not Lilly out of her sight or grasp. Looks like a chicken in the house tonight. We will keep you posted.

No bubbles or anything with her eyes. she will open them and look at me every now and again. She was holding her head tucked because as you can see, DD was holding her sort of upright. I cannot imagine anything she hit her head on.

Last edited:
Checked for eye response to light...pupil dilates and so forth fine. She was no happy to have a light put in her eye for sure.

Sheesh this is making me crazy...I cannot see or feel anything wrong but something sure is.
th.gif

I don't know about pale in the face...here is a pic of her about 7 weeks ago she has always looked lighter in the face to me

HPIM3549Small.jpg

Last edited:
She was standing for a few seconds (28 to be exact) and then she did this:

HPIM3760.jpg

HPIM3761.jpg

she is acting a bit more alert and keeping her eyes open longer. I have baby vitamins, electrolytes and terramyacin on hand so....we will keep watching and see what happens. I will call my vet in the morning and see if he can help her or hopefully find someone close that can. she was leaning her head towards the TV so maybe she liked what she heard? Or it bothered her...

Last edited:
Now she is sleeping standing. she wanted down off my lap and she staggered a bit and then balanced and is standing sleeping. Oh and she is sorta fluffed and will hold her wings out away from her when she gets too warm in my lap.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Updated again 7:12 pm she has loose yellow poo. Not bright yellow but brown mustard type yellow...I am banking on worms being the problem. Tomorrow I will take care of that.

Last edited:
What have you been feeding (incl past feeding regime)
You can give three drops of polyvisol enfamil in beak for a week (taper off the next) ... wont harm and the D3 might do her some good.... I would also suggest in addition to this AviaCharge 2000... this way you have the nutritional aspect covered. You can also offer her a live culture yogurt.
Check out the section on Cage Layer Fatigue here:
http://www.abc.cornell.edu/poultry/ppjan00.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom