LG users. Chime in about what works for you.

Solsken Farm

Songster
12 Years
I had to break down and get a hatcher and decided to try the very dubious LG, for hatching only. I have the still air.

Experiences please. I have had it running for several days and definitely see the temp fluctuations folks complain about. I am trying to tweak a touch to get as close to 101 that I can.

What temps do you use for those last 3 days? What humidity?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I use the LG stillair. I've done two batches of RIR's and one of guineas. I got a 75% hatch rate each time or better. The temp will fluctuate but my hatches did fine even with it changing a few degrees.

I keep my temps betweem 98-100 and my humidity 40-60. My last hatch was 18 out of 20. I have been pleased with my LG still air but then again I don't have anything else to compare it to.

I use mine for the whole process. I have a separate hatcher I made. I have 40 eggs in it now. That's the most I've ever had at once. I personally just think it's just trial and error. You just have to learn to tweak with it if the temps fluctuate.

what kind of hermostat does it have?? I bought a few of those solid state ones and installed them instead of the wafers..

I think the temp fluctuations are due to the wafers slow expansion and contraction and the long stroke on the microswitch..

there used to be a double wafer set-up that was way better than the single wafer.. I had one yet until this summer.. I have not tried to replace it yet.. probably will have to do some serious shoppng when I do..

I use a LG and I love it.

It's on my nightstand and I check it often and it never varies more than 1 degree each way once I have it set the way I want it.

This is my first chicken egg hatch in an LG but I've hatched countless duck eggs with great success rates. Have shipped chicken eggs in it now, and we'll see how it goes, but so far so good.
smile.png

I have two of them. I keep them in the closet where the temp does not flectuate as much. Sometimes I have a good hatch like this last time 9 out of 11 and sometimes I don't. This time I tried dry incubation and it seemed to work better.

So I have this thing fairly stabilized. I had to turn manually yesterday and it recovered each time pretty well. Today I will stop turning. I have been able to keep it pretty stable at about 101.5 to 102.5. Give or take a half a degree. I have a towel over it, but do have one of the vents open. I also have the rubbermaid shelf liner on top of the wire. I think that is helping kieep the humidity steady.

So far so good. Of course if no one hatches, I will trash the dang thing.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom