spurs/ and damage from

Alleyoops25

Songster
12 Years
May 14, 2007
Colorado
Today one of our hens has got an aweful gash down her side. I am sure its from the roosters doing their work of trying to populate the world and their spurs cut the hen. She has a good 3 or 4 inch long gash and it is a good inch wide. We cleaned it out with peroxide and then put one of those johnson & johnson advanced healing adhesive pads over the wound. Does this sound like we did enough with that? My other question is our roosters are all getting big spurs, is there any way of removing them so they cant keep hurting the hens? If they werent out messing up my hens I wouldnt worry about it. But man they can do some serious damage with those things.
barnie.gif

I've heard of people trimming them, but I'm not sure how you would go about that. I was just wondering how you put adhesive bandages on a chicken. Wouldn't it just stick to the feathers and not the wound? And how do you get them off without pulling out feathers?

Thanks for the help. THe reason I was able to put the adhesive bandage on was because the roo's have literally plucked her back. She seems to be the popular hen with them. I think we can get this healed before she starts getting feathers agian. I just wanted it to get covered so I wouldnt risk her getting a infection. We used those types of bandages a lot here and in the nursing home. They have medication of some kind that pulls the infection out and makes the wound heal from the inside out. I have seen it used for bed sores, and things and they really heal things up really quick. I use them a lot they work better than a regular band aid, they hold up to my kids playing with them with out falling off the skin. So I am hoping that it will hold with her long enough.

Spotted crow, does spurs have a quick in them like a dogs toe nail? And is it very pain ful to twist them off? I would be willing to try it, I hust want to know if they are going to bleed a bunch, that way I can get some blood stop out and have it ready.

also thanks dlunicorn I am going to read it now.

Wait a second now that I read dlhunicorns link I dont know if I could handle doing this. I always thought it was a big toe nial, not actual part of the birds leg bones!!
Ithink I need a little more detailed discription from you, Spotted crow. I think I may be getting a little chicken:cd

Maybe you could do the potato thing listed at the bottom of dlhunicorn's article and just leave the potatoes on, like a cork! (or have a few bottles of wine and use those corks!)
smile.png

Use one of those toenail clippers for dogs. Cut it back about 1/4 inch to 1/2 an inch (just enough to get a dull point on it is all you need. If you have critters around, you want to leave a little bit for being able to at least let the critter the rooster is trying to fight off to 'feel' it). It might bleed a little, but a little dab of stiptic(sp?) stick will fix it right up and the roster won't know any different

I use the potato method-it works GREAT every time! The only thing different is I use pliers instead of gloves to twist the spurs. It comes off and looks like a fingernail. It seems to be relatively pain free and very little bleeding-I highly reccomend this method!
smile.png

PS: It lasts for months before you have to repeat (and the roo can eat the potato as a consolation snack
big_smile.png
)

Last edited:
I think I will go a head with the potato method. I need to do something, I dont think my hens could stand the spurs any longer.

Back
Top Bottom