Chicken First Aid Kit

Mac

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
South Central PA
I have posted this to BYC Website because I didn't think it should be under the Emergency/Diseases catagory. Please move it to the appropriate place, if needed. I am the person who is buying a small farm and inheriting 13 chickens. Your site has been a wealth of information. Thank you very much.

Unless I've missed it, I don't see anything related to a chicken first aid kit. I'm a dog person, and have a kit for my dogs, and I used to have one for my horse as well. I think it might be a good idea to have one for chickens. I'm going to be out in the country, and if an emergency happens I would like to be as prepared as possible. I guess this is why I posted this to you, on the Website. Nothing like being prepared!

If the members, with all their experience, could compile a list of supplies to have on hand, it would be great.

Thanks,
Mac

I keep two kinds of worming medication available. You need to switch off to keep resistance to a particular drug from developing. Neosporin for any cuts, Amprol in case of Cocci outbreaks. I keep a pk. of Vitamines and Electrolytes. I also keep a package of Terrymycin (sp) available. Many of us use Apple Cidar Vinegar in the water once or twice per week to help with vit. and min. absorbtion and proper PH.

That is about all I have on hand on any given day. I live in an agricultural area and their two good farm supply stores near and I can get lots of things without a wait.

Many people also keep Blue Kote available for picking but I have never had that problem.

I don't see my answer here or the old thread.

What vitamins are recommended for chickens? My Silkies feathers don't look good. The flight feathers are very bare, almost bare quills and some of the others aren't looking right either. The egg layers all seem to be OK though.

A guy at work told me there's a horse iron supplement that I can add to their feed, but I worry that might not be the healthiest answer...

Polyvisol liquid baby vitamins work best for chickens. Do a quick searhc for polyvisol and you should be able to find the correct dosage. I know that member dlhunicorn has EXCELLENT links and advice for many ailments. You may want to search by author and read some of their posts.
Best wishes
smile.png

Avia Charge 2000 is one of the few complete nutritional/vitamin supplements I know of (also approved for certified organic)... you can purchase through McMurry or Stromberg

I get a product called Rooster Booster from the co op. It is a liquid multi-vitamin for chickens. I mix it in with their water once a week. The difference in my babies that have hatched before and after rooster booster is AMAZING! The are stronger, more energetic and have better coloring from day 1!

Back
Top Bottom