DE question

Rhaena

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 11, 2007
I have read a lot on the forum about DE. I bought some from my feed store today, but nowhere on the package does it say "food grade". The powder is white like flour, and the brand name is Natural Guard. The Active ingredients are Silicon dioxide from diatomaceous earth ...85%, other elemental oxides...10%, Inert ingredients...5%. I plan on dusting my hens and their coop. What do you think? I want to use the right thing.
Thanks,

If my memory serves correctly, in order to be considered food grade- it have to be ninety something percent DE...so I doubt yours is food grade.

can mix pure pyrethrum and DE together at a 25% -75% ratio. Pyrethrum products that are available include Natural Guard and ECOsafe . There is approximately 1% pyrethrin in natural pyrethrum powder. Pyrethroids are synthetic insecticides. They do not resemble natural pyrethrum and should not be used.

quoted from:
http://www.freshwaterorganics.com/silver_bullet.htm

Well if it's what they describe above...then I'd think it was ok for dusting the chickens and coops, but definitively not for their feed. Personally, I'd rather have it say it's ok to eat, but that's your choice.

oh- by the way, don't forget that if you have cats...pyrethrum is toxic to cats.

Sandra​

Garden Harvest Supply has a good write up on DE. I have some of that Natural Guard and I think it is just meant for use on insects and such. I personally would make sure it is food grade before I dusted my chickens with it!!

Quote:
We just bought some DE this w/e and it has the same ingredients and it IS marked food grade?????? and has organic on the package. Is this ok? I hope so my fiance has started taking it.

Quote:
I do both. It's a good preventative, but don't rely on it alone if you have an infestation already.

Quote:
I do both. It's a good preventative, but don't rely on it alone if you have an infestation already.

X-2 great preventative to keep bugs out of feed, coop, etc. but once wet it is simply mud and loses it's effectiveness to a large degree. Who makes it and can ya google it? I use it mainly in feed so always want to see these words on bag or label, FOOD CHEMICAL CODEX GRADE.

If perhaps it was bagged at the feed store from their supply ask them what you have before using.

Quote:

X-2 great preventative to keep bugs out of feed, coop, etc. but once wet it is simply mud and loses it's effectiveness to a large degree. Who makes it and can ya google it? I use it mainly in feed so always want to see these words on bag or label, FOOD CHEMICAL CODEX GRADE.

If perhaps it was bagged at the feed store from their supply ask them what you have before using.

X3 I use DE on my poop boards to dry out the poop quickly. It works great at that. You can also use it in a dust bath area. Some mix equal amounts of sand, DE, and some Seven dust in a litter box. That will keep some of the lice and other nasties off of the birds.

But don't rely on it to keep the worms out of your birds.

Back
Top Bottom