Help! Swollen wattle in rooster!!!

crazychickenchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
Australia
I have a 1 year old frizzle rooster and I noticed a few days ago that one of his wattles had a stone sized lump at its base. I came out this morning and saw that his wattle had swollen futher and turned black where the lump had began. It is now swollen to the point of his eye closing. He seems fine otherwise. Does anyone know what it could be or how I can fix it?

Hm... You're in Australia, so I'm going to rule out frostbite. Don't you guys have a lot of dangerous spiders there? I'm wondering if he got bit by something.

Could be a bite but I would assume it would have swollen a lot quicker and he would be a little sick if it was a spider. I have done a little looking up as to wattle deseases, but the ones I have found seem to include both wattles and he only has a problem with one. I would normally not be so worried, but as it has worsened progressivly I am starting to freak out a little. Thanks for your input, chicken lady.

I have never experienced this, but I know what it's like to feel desperate, so I'll offer my 1 cent worth.

I assume a vet that sees chicken is not an option? In that case, is the "lump" localized? Meaning could you possible slit the wattle and remove it?

I know many would disagree, but if I had a chicken with this sort of issue and a vet was not a possibility, I would try to remove it and hope for the best. At this point, what do you have to lose? It seems to be getting much worse.

I wish you only the best.

Penny

I thought of that, but the swelling is so severe that i couldn't do it without causing damage to the eye. I have tried relieving the swelling with a pin but all that comes out is a drop or two of blood and it doesn't seem to make any difference. The lump is also quite hard.

It's ok. I figured it out.....Here is my poor boy. The photo is a bit bright in the area of swelling, but his eye is almost closed permenantly and there is a bit of swelling directly under his eye too. If anyone can help I would be most grateful...

Last edited:
Ouch! That looks very bad.

If you cover him in a towel and lay him on his side, maybe he will become very still? This has worked for me when I have had hens in a bad way. If you can get him to be very still, maybe you can remove the lump?

I wish I could help. I can only imagine how badly you feel. If I were in your shoes I would be just as worried as you are. Without a vet, your options are rather limited unless you can handle it yourself.

Maybe you can try rubbing prednisone on it to bring the swelling down?

I wish you the very best,
Penny

Back
Top Bottom