Did I get the wrong stuff? Tylan 50 for cattle/swine, need for chicken

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
I hope this isn't considered a double post, cause I have another thread going about the chicken whose foot I amputated. I need to give him an antibiotic, and I asked some dosing questions in the other thread while searching the boards. Now I'm worried I may have the wrong stuff, cause this stuff says it's just for cattle and swine. It's Tylan 50 injection. Thanks, everyone, and once again sorry if this is considered a double post!!!

I've never used Tylan 50 but I think I've been told it is for cattle and swine. Better wait until somebody else who's more in-the-know comes along! Hope your baby makes it!!!!

No, you can use Tylan 50 on chickens. I have used it on my birds with respioratory problems. It works fantstic for that.

Also, you might want to contact Dr. Peter Brown and see if he can further advise you. His number is 1-800-950-8387 and his email address is [email protected] . He's helped many a BYC'er and I'm sure will touch base with you as soon as possible. Be sure to emphasize that you amputated your rooster's leg and need help. Best wishes. I am praying Stubby makes it!!!

Quote:
THANK YOU FOR THAT INFO!!! Now I'm gonna search for the course length for this antibiotic....Thank you everyone, and thanks expecially for the link to that thread, LilBizzy!!! I don't know how I missed it!

Yep... I keep some on hand for emergencies, and it works great.
smile.png
Good luck with your baby!!

Could I start him on terramyacin at first??? Or does terramyacin not do any good with preventing infection in this type of wound??? (I amputated his leg)

Terramycin is a general antibiotic and I don't think it is going to be strong enough. I would use the Tylan 50. It works great for alote of things. The dosage is 1/4cc for bantam or 1/2 cc for standard, in the breast 3 day's in a row. I am using the Tylan now and I have not seen any ill affects from it. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom