Sickly Chicken

Cluckergy

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2021
Hey everyone. I'm hoping to get some help for my sick chicken. She's a 2 year old White Leghorn. She came in the house a couple weeks ago due to a lack of appetite and being generally lethargic. She "laid" a lash egg that was about the size of a Nickel or so.

I gave her 2 doses of LA 200 and her appetite returned. I brought her back outside Christmas Day so about a week and a half ago. I've been watching her and her appetite has been back to what it usually is. Her poops are still quite runny but have solid fecal matter in them as well.

She hasn't been laying for a couple months but I wasn't too worried since it's winter and I don't supplement light. My other hens that are the same age aren't really laying either but they've not been great layers. Sometimes she does have a soft egg but some extra oyster shell and she wouldn't have another one for some time.

However, when I feel her abdomen it feels enlarged. I am not sure if it's fluid or if there is something else that would be causing this. Should I attempt to drain her? Would it be recommended to try another antibiotic and how soon could I try that? I have Duramycin and Tylan 50, in addition to LA 200.

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately no. A vet is not an option. All vets around me do not work with chickens and are booked out even if they did. I wish I could take her for an X-ray to know for sure but they won't take her.

How big were the doses of LA? Did you continue after her appetite improved?
I did 2, .4CC doses. I did not continue after her appetite improved because the chart I followed only mentioned the two doses and I wasn't sure if it should be continued for longer like you would with Tylan.

Back
Top Bottom