My perfect hawk deterent

chickensioux

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Western North Carolina
Since "Victor" arrived-no more hawk issues!!!
22826_100_0048.jpg

I have hawks stalking my girls daily...would a big turkey really put a stop to that? I have plenty of room and would not mind having a "big bird." Especially if it would discourage the hawks...I was standing at the coop one evening and a hawk landed on top of three of my hens that were standing next to me inside the fence...feathers everywhere...he saw me and flew into the coop, leaving the hens in a state of panic...he flew back out and landed close enough to me that I cracked him beside his head with the bucket I had in my hand at the time...he stayed away for quite sometime but he is back and he has two or three other hawk buddies with him...so far they have not taken a bird...the two roosters are ever watchful and give the alarm readily causing a mad stampede to the coop by the girls...then the two boys stand shoulder to should in the doorway guarding the girls...it is quite funny actually to watch to boys...but if a turkey would help, I will be on the hunt for one...

ooh! really!...will it keep a hawk away!?? what about an eagle??? ooh i hope so!..i will go get one!...

Interesting... then, does the turkey stay with the chickens at night, in the coop? I'm picturing a turkey trying to fit in with my hens....
smile.png
And if it's a tom, do they try to go after the hens? Are the turkeys friendly with people? I ask all these questions, because I recently had to re-home my rooster after he began attacking us, but worry about predator warning and protection for my hens. I'd love to hear more about this... By the way, Victor is a beautiful turkey!

Hi, I got Victor when he was a year old. He has 1/2 the coop inside at night. He was raised by a friend as a pet (she has several) and she suggested that his size might deter predators(after I had lost 2 to hawks). I had goats in with girls and remembered no hawk problems at that time as well. I figured a large, territorial bird just might work. At first, we kept him in a large cage outside of the coop (except at night) so get him adjusted (about 4 days). We then started letting him out and he has been a treat. He has not done a thing to harm the chickies or the ducks. He eats when he wants to first but other than that, he has been the perfect gentleman. He is a little stand offish, but I can pet him when he goes on his perch each night. It took about 3 days for him to figure out the routine, but he's been great.

Last edited:
I can see how the turkey could distract a hawk from your chickens. Heck judging by the size of that rooster in your avatar I'd say the turkey becomes the prime target.....
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom