I just want to cry-My chickens have runny eyes

mackelchea

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 6, 2008
I bought some 2 month old chickens from Florida, I'm in California-
a few days after I received I noticed one chicken with a swollen eye, another one with some white sort of foamy stuf coming out of her eye
My daughters and I freeked out because we thought on that one chicken the eye was gone-
so we treated it wit some eyewash and was told to use an antibotic and treat-
So that cleared up after a few days then all of the sudden several others had the white foamy stuff coming from the eyes and some otheres had the swollen eyes???

What the heck does this sound like-
I treated them all with Tylan 50 for three days and seems that that for the most part cured but one chicken I killed yesterday 2 swollen eyes and didn't respond to the 3 day anti bioatic treatment-

It doesn't seem to be catchey because my other chickens don't seem to show any symptoms??

Help

Last edited:
Search for "foamy eye" on BYC - there are lots of threads about problems similar to yours.

You should also isolate the infected birds ASAP until you've pinpointed what's wrong.

Unfortunately, it seems you were sold sick and/or carrier birds. If it is a virus, no antibiotic will cure them. This is happening so much lately with people buying birds from dishonest OR just plain ignorant sellers who know nothing about chicken diseases, This is why I will never purchase started birds from anyone. I really am not the one to help with medications because if it was me, I would cull the birds rather than chance infecting my flock.

Do they smell bad? If so, could be Coryza.

They don't smell bad-that one I killed had snot and clearish/yellowish fluid coming out of each eye-

The anti biotic cleared it up real quick but the white sort of foamy eyes have me conserned>>

Jeeze I don't know .

Any one hear of this?

Last edited:
Another possibility that I have never seen mentioned is that the birds you bought were clean and your flock is the carrier.

If your flock had a mild form of resp. disease and got over it they could have infected the new birds. Even if in seperate pens, droppings on your shoes, dander on your clothes or it could have even been spread by the wind if the pens were in close proximity of each other.

Please don't take this as placeing any blame on you. From what I have read most flocks will test pos. for many resp. illnesses. In most cases too stress will bring an illness out in a bird rather fast. Some of the common causes of stress are moving the birds, overcrowding, weather and even changing feed can sometimes do it.

Back
Top Bottom