new chick with leg out of place.

chickencity

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
my last chick to hatch seemed ok when he came out the shell. i let him stay in the incubator for anhour to dry off and then but him the brooder with the rest and then i left for the day. when i came back i noticed that he just wasn't walking right. he can stand now and hobble a few inches but it seems that his left leg is out of place. he can move it, its just not were it should be. ill try to get a pic of it. he is eating and drinking. i did sperate him but all he did was sleep so put him back with the others b.c i thought it would be better for him to move around so he can learn to walk on it. what should i do?
buildingandchicks060.jpg

buildingandchicks061.jpg

buildingandchicks062.jpg

buildingandchicks063.jpg

buildingandchicks067.jpg

buildingandchicks066.jpg

buildingandchicks065.jpg

buildingandchicks064.jpg

Your chick looks like it has spraddle or splayed leg in the one side. I can't see the back of the leg well, but check for any swollen joint in the hock or abrasions, that would mean possibly a slipped tendon which is hard to treat. It looks like spraddle leg from the pic though with the leg going to the side and if it is, it's very treatable, just tape the legs together. Some use bandaids. I used vet wrap or coban tape on a recent one. Also, place on a Nonslip Surface like a towel or the squishy shelf foam shelf paper. Here is a site to go to for a visual picture:

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html
and
http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/

Also a picture of my little chick before and after. She will probably fall over a bit with the brace on, just watch her and make sure she can eat/drink. I would separate her from others or put her with a gentle one or two for several days. She should be fine in 3-4 days.

3509chickspraddle2.jpg

3509buffspraddle.jpg

31309buff.jpg

Last edited:
I have one too that just hatched during the night. The leg sticks out to the side....I put the band aid on but it still cnat stand up. When it tries to move it flops onto it's side. Am I doing something wrong? Here is a pic of the chick & bandaid.
15680_spraddle.jpg

15680_spraddle2.jpg

Is the bandaid I am using to stiff? to big?
Thanks for any help...good luck chickencity, let me know how your turns out.

thanks for the info. i just tape his legs together with bandaids and he is already standing up without having to hold his wings out..yeah:D

Last edited:
Ck,
I don't know if it the lighting in the pic, but the right leg looks a bit discolored, make sure it is not too tight around leg to bother circulation. I know you said you did it over. The chick could still be weak, make sure it is able to get food and water, and handfeed a mash if needed. May also use polyvisol w/o iron vit for several days to boost it and a little pedialyte. They will fall over and back at first, but should get used to it unless really weak. Make sure you didn't tape over the hocks.
Chickencity: That is great!
smile.png

There are lots of folks who have had great luck with the splints, and I support using them on spraddle chicks.

However, when we recently had one who just did not respond to the splint after two days, we put her on a thick old bathroom rug 2-3 times a day and got her up walking. This gave her some traction, and we encouraged her to get moving and develop those muscles. After a few days of "therapy" she started wobbling around on her own, and after 4 weeks you'd never know she had any problems.

This may not work in every case, and it took persistence on our parts, but hopefully the idea may help some folks. Good luck!

so far he seems to be able to stand up longer and waddle but is still falling over alot. but he is better than he was.

Back
Top Bottom