"Shanty Town" My little city

Grampa with chickens

Songster
14 Years
Nov 23, 2008
Brooksville, Florida
Well, where do I start.............

For the last month or so, I have been rebuilding my runs and building coops. My flock had some make shift pens and as they started to multiply (as we all know) I decided it was time to try to do things the right way.

I needed to redo the runs and make them bigger. 3 runs measure 8' X 10"
Dominiques run is 10' X 18' and my Turkey pen is 10' X 10'.

I used all recycled materials for the coops. Pallets and shipping crates supplied all the wood. Screws and hardware was the only things I had to buy. Of course, fencing and fence posts were bought too.

Whatcha all think?????

18982_hpim2737.jpg

18982_hpim2738.jpg

18982_hpim2743.jpg

18982_hpim2741.jpg

18982_hpim2740.jpg

18982_hpim2739.jpg

I have one more that is in the process of being built as my turkeys are due to hatch May 3 so I have a little time yet. All coops have doors so everybody gets locked up at night. Eggs collecting is done outside of pens so no more crawling on my knees to get them. Being in Florida, my birds are out all day and I don't have to worry about them living in the coops for days. Only over night.

Thanks for looking

It is not as much work as it use to be. I decided it was time to make things as easy as possible on me. Now egg collecting is a breeze. No more having to worry about escapees getting out of the make shift door.

You people are killing me
th.gif
. . . I want chickens, but you keep posting these wonderful chicken homes and I get faint
barnie.gif
just looking at them . . I have GOT to get busy and get mine started as soon as the weather permits. . .I can get ahold of those things you stack things on . . .to use as scrap, and look on craigslist for cheap lumber to finish them out!!! Great job!!!
thumbsup.gif
frow.gif

AWESOME! I want to do that, but DH says it wont work, I am going to show him that yes we can use crates and pallets to build the coop....

Is 8'x8' too big or too small for 30 chickens? Bear in mind that, 6-7 months its nice enough to be outside but they would e spending a good partion of 6-5 months inside most of the time...MN sucks...

Back
Top Bottom