PROFESSIONALLY Photograph your chicks for under $2.00!

Poulets De Cajun

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Houston MetroMess, Texas
I've been thinking of a way to take better pictures of my chicks, and I implemented a trick from another artform of mine. Below are the instructions to build a 'photobox' to take professional looking photographs, for just a few bucks. The materials are things that most people have around the house, and if not should only cost you a few bucks at the dollar store.

First, get a sizeable box, and choose a color of spray paint. I used an empty paper box that reams of paper came in. Lightly colored chicks show up better on dark back grounds and vice versa, so take this into consideration when purchasing your spray paint.

DSCF0534.jpg

With the spray paint, cover the inside of the box on all sides. Dont forget about the creases!

DSCF0535.jpg

Once you have the inside of the box painted, cut a hole in one side. The hole needs to be large enough to let light through, but not so large that the light fixture can fall through. (You'll see the light fixture in subsequent pictures.)

DSCF0536.jpg

DSCF0537.jpg

Once the hole is cut, take a piece of wax paper and cover the hole. Using some tape, secure the wax paper to the box. Make sure it is tight, otherwise bends and folds will create shadows when you finally take pictures.

DSCF0538.jpg

DSCF0539.jpg

Once you have the wax paper secured, you are nearly done. Turn the box on it side, so that the light hole is on top. Then place your light fixture on top of the hole. I use a brooder light with a 60w light bulb. The darker the room, the better the pictures.

DSCF0550.jpg

Finally, turn the flash on your camera OFF, and turn your MACROS setting on. You'll need the extra fine focus for the close up shots. It will take some practice, but after a while you'll get the hang of it and will be producing shots just like these!

Partchick.jpg

Partchick2.jpg

Partchick3.jpg

bluechick.jpg

bluechick2.jpg

(Extra hint: For even better lighting, add a light fixture and a light hole on all three sides!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! My camera never takes good pictures of chicks. one question though, do you have any problems with a light bulb melting the wax paper?

Oh, and I'm not that knowledgeable about cameras, whats the MACROS setting?

Last edited:
Quote:
I have not used it long enough for the light to heat the paper enough for it to burn. However, considering that the wax paper can be used to bake on, I would assume it has a very high flashpoint.

As with anything, pay attention to what you are doing, and use caution when using the box. Happy Photographing!

PouletsDeCajun - you are wonderful! I've also been wanting to set up a light box, and just wasn't sure how to go about it. Your pictorial is fantastic! Thank you so much.

Penny

The 'Macros' setting on your camera is commonly represented by the little flower symbol. It is used for ultra fine focusing of very close up objects.

And just for reference, the photos above were taken with an inexpensive ($125) Fujifilm point and shoot digital camera. Nothing fancy at all!

Back
Top Bottom