Bears sniffing around the coop

Oblio13

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 26, 2008
New Hampshire
Last my wife woke me up because she heard the chickens squawking. I went outside with the dog, a flashlight and a shotgun, and a large blackbear sow and three cubs were sniffing around the coop. They weren't alarmed at all by either me yelling or the dog barking, but finally they wandered off. About an hour later, they came back. I had some birdshot shells with me this time because I wanted to pepper the sow and teach her to be afraid of humans, and she just stood and watched me as I unloaded the first round of buckshot and reloaded with birdshot, with the dog barking like crazy behind me. I walked around her in a semi-circle to get a better angle, and peppered her ass from about 25 yards with 7 1/2 shot. There was surprisingly little reaction. I know their fur is very thick, and they probably haven't even shed out completely yet, but I would have thought that even just the noise and blast would make her skeddadle. She just lumbered off slowly, and the cubs went up a tree. I took this pic from the front deck of our house (the coop is underneath the deck):

IMG_0155.jpg

Last edited:
Awwww its just a baby, My folks have bears on the mountain they live on, There older ( dad 76) last fall mom woke him all tore up , GET UP there is a bear at the door looking at me....about 4am, they have an A frame house, all sliding glass doors, dad jumps up...grabs the 30-30 and shot a hole in the floor BAHAHHAAA.....mom had run to the bathroom , she came out, fire alarm went off, (ceramic floor) after the fuss was over, dad said to mom, is that bear still out there, Mom said, uh no it heard all the comotion and got the H*ll outta here ..... heheee

Dixie

Wow, great pics and story - but aren't you maybe pushing your luck a bit by taking a threatening stance with a sow and her cubs? Especially considering the apparently ineffectiveness of your defensive weapon?

Quote:
Maybe, but I'm not an advocate of helpless passivity. Besides, there was four rounds of buckshot loaded behind the birdshot, just in case. And the dog weighs more than I do, and I'm sure he'd pile in if it came to that.

I have to admit I was wondering the same thing... A mom with babies! What kind of dog do you own? One of those Kan----(cANT SPELL IT) bear dogs. I would of been freaking out. Your poor chicks. WOW!
hide.gif
hide.gif
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom