How do you cull unwanted chicks ?

Youngfamily1989

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 20, 2007
Tennessee City
I have not yet had to cull any chicks but....I was wandering the best and humane way of doing it. I am incubating every month so I am preparing for the ine..via#dible or however you say that word. I was thinking maybe just throw in a trash bag and leave em, or giving them to the dogs, throwing them in the pond.... I dont know what do you do with the curled feet, spayed legs, chicks or the to many unwanted roosters?
hu.gif

Brian

whoa whoa whoa!! those are TERRIBLE ways! Whatever you do, don't do any of the things you just listed.

most people just twist their wee little heads off

Well if it was me I would take them to a small animals sale and try to make some money as they will buy them there. This way you dont have to try to hatch them and then kill them that isnt very nice to the chicks... I have some I bought that have a few problems but hey seem to be the nicest

WAIT A Minute ! Dont anybody get upset if a chick had any chance of making it I could'nt kill it I was just wanting to know how yaw
did it. REALLY...... twist his wee little head off ?
ep.gif

Brian

Better to give them away free on Freecycle or at least try. Sell them for $1 each if they're healthy. If you have an unhealthy chick you must cull, get an airtight container like a jar, put the chick in it with a rag saturated with starter fluid (not lighter fluid). Starter fluid is ether and the chick will go to sleep permanently.

With day old chicks with problems beyond help, I just take a pair of sharp scissors and cut off their heads. Once they are a week or older, I just use a knife if they need to be culled.

If I had extra chicks, I'd just raise them up to a pound or two and use them for soup.

omg. dont CULL anything. whatever that means! omg omg omg. put an add in the paper. ask your neighbors, find SOMEONE that will take them, jus dont take their lives!!!

where are you from? if i was close ID take them. but im in mississippi:hit

If you are going to hatch chicks and raise chickens you will have to cull.
It sucks but it's reality. I'm still new to it but have learned to do it.

A chick that is too far gone and suffering can be culled with a sharp knife
and strong conviction. No, it's not fun but it's sometimes needed. Hold it
down and with a firm blow cut off its' head.

The older birds get the axe.

If a bird isn't suffering but has a defect of some kind just raise it and see
what happens. It may turn out o be a good bird or at least you utilize it for
food.

Back
Top Bottom