(UPDATE)(New pics) My Buff Orp. Is Hurt (Graphic pic warning)

annrich

Songster
12 Years
May 27, 2007
Western NY
Ok so my DH went out to tuck in the chickens and he found my baby hurt. She has a very deep flesh wound on the top of her head, and on the right side of her head. The left side is swollen but no wound just an abrassion.

Ok so far I have cleaned it with saline solution, Neosporin, She has Electrolytes and aspirin in her water. Is there anything else I should be doing?????????????

I am so sad for her... Why is it always the chicken that you love the most that gets hurt?????

These are cellphone pictures sorry if they are not that good.

chickeninjury3.jpg

chickeninjury1.jpg

chickeninjury2.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like your on the right track. I would add to that, which you already may be doing, keep her separate and quiet and watch closely for infection. She may need oral antibiotics if infection sets in. Flush it daily....

Chickens are fairly resilient. Ill keep my fingers crossed her.

Oh shes in the house. I have her in a large dog crate. Were do I get antibiotics for a chicken?

Last edited:
Good luck Ann. My heart goes out to you. If it helps, I wasn't sure Phoebe was going to make it with her broken beak: she was really "out of it". But feeding her water/electrolytes from an eyedropper and soft food by hand seemed to help and she's fine now, beak healing. It certainly sounds like you are doing the best you can, which, ultimately, is all you can do. Good luck and hang in there.....
Stacey

I have had this sort of injury on a chicken. We couldn't decide if it was from a rooster, or if she stuck her head through the fence and got caught.

I thought for sure she would die because I could see her skull right through the wound. Ugh! I just cleaned it up and kept packing neosporin right in hole and it healed right up. When the feathers grew back in, you couldn't tell at all. Chickens are such funny birds, they heal quickly or not at all it seems.

I had a button quail that had no skin over the entire top of his skull and I porixided it daily he lived for 6 months like this and mated with several females and produced young. He had a good quality of life untill a cat got him and ate him.

Henry

Shes very quiet, She seems exhausted. I can't inspect my run to see if she got stuck in anything until daylight. This is going to make me nuts.
If my roster did this I will kick his butt. We have told him over and over that even Hugh Heffner takes a day off.

Back
Top Bottom