Crossing Blue Laced Red Wyandotte with Silver Laced Wyandotte

silverstedt

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
I just got silver laced chickens, but now I would like to get some BLRW as well. I don't have that much space so I'll probebly have to have those together, what color will they get if you cross BLRW with SLW? I've heard that it's a bad idea
hmm.png

Ehm.. Either way. lets start with silver laced roo, result? and with a blue laced roo? or both, one blue laced and one silver laced together? any idea?

Silver laced male on blue laced females gives silver laced & blue laced silver pullets & messy blue & black laced silver males. The males will be 'split' for gold & there would be brassiness in the hackles.

Blue laced red male on silver laced pullets gives blue & black laced red pullets & messy blue & black laced silver males. The males will be 'split' for gold & there would be brassiness in the hackles. The blue & black laced red pullets would probably only be carrying one mahogany gene which could case problems in future generations if used for breeding.

Wouldn't the silver laced & blue laced silver pullets carry a mahogany gene as well? Was wondering if this could show through as a brassiness too?

It seems to me 2 difficult colors to keep in one coop if you want to keep pure colors, I'd either want 2 coops or choose one of the colors..
hmm.png

Last edited:
Initially I thought it would seem logical that the mahogany from the blue laced red (BLR) mothers would affect the silver laced (SL) pullet offspring. However I couldn't remember having seen it when I did the cross a good few years ago. Henk, who knows more about these things, said that the action of columbian bleaches out red pigment, so, presumably, this is why it doesn't seem to show on the SL male X BLR female.
smile.png

The BLR male on the SL females will give BLR & black laced red pullets & they won't be noticeably different from any other BLR or black laced red pullets except they will only have one mahogany gene. In futur generations if two birds are bred that themselves only have one mahogany gene each then some of the offspring will have no mahogany so they would be gold rather than red.

Does anyone have any pictures of this combination? Curious as to what they would look like.
smile.png

I agree with Krys109uk. The female offspring will be the base colour of the sire but genetically she is half half. The male offspring will take the colour of the dam but also be half half genetically. Keeping it simple, breeding on from these offspring, a lot of base colour and markings (lacing, spangles, pencilling) can be inferior and 'washed out'. If you only do it for one generation to increase your flock, your resulting girls should still look good.
I've put these photos in as an example of the 'washed out' effect, even though the *base colour is the same.

* Red and Gold are actually slightly different, genetically. I'll leave that to someone else to dive into the more complicated genetics about that! Krys109uk spoke about the Mahogany gene, which is the red part.

20180702_114211.jpg
This is the sire of the 2 younger birds below ( in amongst all the other breeds!). He is a Splash Laced Red. Below is 1 of the 4 breeding GLW I put him over & a pullet offspring.
PA020021 (2).JPG
Below is the same pullet and a cockerel from the same breeding flock. The pullet is a good example of the 'washed out' colouring you can get. The cockerel has the red of his sire & dam.
PA020025 (2).JPG

Here is the 3 of them, amongst every body. You can just see the cockerel's back in the left hand corner, pullet and hen on right. You can clearly see the 3 different colours.
PA020019 (2).JPG

i bred blrw roo over silver and got glw hens and silver and blue males with leakage first pic the blrw is the dad to the males behind him
019B05AA-5DAC-4275-BC39-D8CAFB154BDA.jpeg
F8345C9C-EA00-4378-812D-D9FB6CDC8A54.jpeg

the hen
74C09851-75C8-4B27-A664-8882868C1B05.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom