Chicken "throwing up"

TERE

Chirping
13 Years
Sep 1, 2009
Hi Ya'All , I'm new here & not sure about how to post & I can't get to the posts of others! Not good at this site
sad.png
. Anyway I have a hen, an Easter Egg Chicken, got her as a baby chick in May '07... I'm babysitting grandson, he is dry & fed, so now back to chicken, She is throwing up what appears to be water but does it without drinking H2O. She appears very healthy, not molting, is eating. Not sure about eggs I seem to have a egg stealing varmint that I can not identify nor catch. I live on 5 acre in the desert in Casa Grande, Arizona so could have anything raiding the hen house. My other hen seems fine no throwing up at all. Any ideas. The coop is a 16x20 ish Chain link dog run 6 ft high, has a shade, has 4 grease wood bushes taller that it is, has a personal mister that runs 24-7 when it hits 90 at beginning of AZ summer til it goes below 90 for more that a week all day long. So she is not heat stressed. HELP ?!?!?!? TERE:/ [email protected] Someone may have to send instructions on how to get to the posts I can't I just get the index and old ones ? I'm so confused. My groups on yahoo send posts/messages to my email address. Maybe I did not signup correctly?

Quote:
It's ok - we all started here at some point, and I STILL don't know how to use some of the features.
smile.png

Your hen - did she do this when you picked her up? No chance she drank within 10 minutes of you picking her up? If the answer is "no" then feel her crop (the front ofher) and see if she's holding feed and water in her crop. Best thing to do is go out first thing in the morning before they're off their roost and feel the crop then. A crop should empty overnight. If it didn't empty mostly, then her digestive tract is slow and she has food sitting in there (going bad).

I'll email you, too. What you want to do is hit click the box by "subscribe to this topic" whenever you're posting to a topic that isn't yours. Make sure your email is correct on your user settings here and it should tell you whenever you have a reply to your post.

If you can't find it that way, click "User List" on the options above, type in your own name as it is exactly here (TERE) and hit enter. It'll give you a list of people with that name (you). Click your name link, and at the bottom of the new window it'll say something about all posts and all topics. "Posts" are what you post to any topic. "Topics" are your threads that you started.

In the mean time, bookmark this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=238065

You won't get followups like on the yahoogroups. It'll tell you there's a post here, you click the link, and it'll open up a window (or copy and past into a browser to open up a window) directly to your thread.

Her neck feels fine. I don't always pick her up. Sometimes she just jumps off the fake eggs in the hen box & jumps downs, runs down the ramp throws up on the lay pellets and then eats like nothing is wrong. she might then go get a drink and go back and eat! Sometimes she'll drink first then throw up then eat. Some days there is no throw up. NO CHANGE IN FOOD BRAND, STYLE, be it people or animal.
hmm.png
I run the water dish over and kinda flood the area so the water is always clean. They don't get green grass cuz I don't have green grass in the desert!! But they get my leftovers scraps. I have fed those ever since I've had chickens 19 odd yrs. I have never noticed one of my hens do this before. P>S> Her name is Chicken McNugget. My son named her cuz the baby chicks were in the bathrm & he asked our working hunting dog Rocky if he wanted some Chicken Nuggets. The name stuck.. all the hens were named "nugget" in different languages. Unfortunately a varmint raided my coop & I only have 2 hens left her & Pepita (Spanish), Pepita has no health issues. I guess maybe if it doesn't change her physically I shouldn't worry? TERE

Hi Tere, I'm sorta close to you, over here in Yuma.

How long has your hen been doing this? Since forever, or just the past few days?

Here is something I noticed with my hens. I was having problems with eggs disappearing, I suspected egg-eating. (Her and another hen were staring intently at the hens as they laid). I caught one of my hens throwing up a couple of times, she seemed otherwise very healthy. Okay, this is gross, but the last time I saw her throw up, the other chickens were pecking at it. A comment by another BYC member and the light went on--she was puking after eating an egg!! I made sure the oyster shell was full at all times, started giving them more protein, and I haven't had any problems since (I suspect the shells were thin or absent, thus easy to crack). Could this possibly be what is going on with your hen?

Was the "throw-up" clear or ???
hmm.png
hmm.png
Would the throw up show egg shell? And u r right this post is kinda gross!! Well not kinda down right gross.. it is like a conversation new Moms have
lol.png
If she was in fact eating the eggs would she be eating 1 to 2 eggs every single day for the past 3-4 weeks?? The reason I don't think she is actually eating the eggs is that I have found my fake eggs missing & then found them off in the 5 acre surrounding the coop. One of the times I found 1 in a small wash that runs next to the coop and about 15-20 yds away from the coop the fake egg was in it and around the fake egg was broken green egg shell. Sooo .... problem is we can't find any place where anything big enough to carry eggs off can get in! Have set a trap out with eggs in it. It sat for 3 wks no takers then 1 eggs disappeared without tripping the trap. AGHHHH. TERE

Back
Top Bottom