Cat Chasing Chickens

pooponshoe

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 26, 2007
Saint Augustine, FL
I am just worried if she actually catches one. She has come close several times, I try to keep her in the house but she just waits by the door for an opportunity to run out.

If the cat does chase them does it upset the egg laying, she has not gone after them in the chicken tractor "yet" where they are laying.

How many nests do I need, I have 3 hens (so far) laying and one nest, sound right?

I want to get 2 goats for land clearing, do they get along with chickens? Is there a website about goats?

Sorry about the questions, I have a million of them.

Thanks, just getting started.

4 white plymouth rocks, 2 mixed, 3 old english game, 1 cat, 3 dogs

my goats ignore chickens unless the chicken is right in front of them when they are eating. now, sometimes this will be the CHICKENS' food, so you gotta know whose the primo. they push the chicken out the of the way with a swish of their heads. i have never seen them hurt one though.

i taught this cat that the birds were part of the pack, so to speak. uh, with the neighbors cat, well,,,,,,,,,kitty may go bye bye one day.

at least here, the dogs are more of a problem with birds. but, many people have dogs that do really, really well.

i think any disturbance can throw off the eggs. but there are always going to be some kind of disturbance, so prevent the ones you can and take the rest in stride.

I have a cat that loves to go "Bowling for chickens." She charges them for the joy of watching them scatter. They are used to this now, and don't go far. You can almost see the cat laughing afterwards.

Never has had an impact on laying, but she's been doing this since they moved outside.

My cat doesn't really try to catch one, and I think if she did a wing to the face would cause her to let them go.

Same cat gets beween the chickens and the nieghbors cat when it's in our yard. Not sure if she's defending them, or if its an "If I can't have them, you can't either" kind of thing.

Quote:
If you live near me....you should adopt one of my splash silkie roosters. I have one that never bothers me at all......(yet) BUT he is so busy protecting the flock all the time. He is the only one brave enough to hang out with me when i was shoveling snow today. I have 2 small dogs and if they follow me out to the coop, he goes right after them to keep them away from his girls/yard. I love how brave he is and i have no doubt he would proudly give his life to protect them. When he chased the dogs, he bit right onto them and would not let go.
I had to go save them. So i have him and one of his 2 brothers looking for a nice new yard to guard if anyone in my area is looking. Both blue splash. 5 months old.
If your not around here TMF, you should look for a young rooster to protect the girls where you are. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Just let one set and protect her chicks.... In my flock, Anyone--or any animal within 5 feet of the chicks was due for a flogging!!!!! None of my cats even try and stalk a chickens since.....they know better!

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom