I can't believe it! My Norwegian Jaerhons have started laying!

alpinefarm

Songster
11 Years
Dec 6, 2008
Western Colorado
I knew they were hardy and created to be good cold-weather layers, but I was so surprised anyway to find a clutch of 5 eggs and a 6 mo old pullet laying another in the nest box....shocked me outta my socks! These young Jaerhons hadn't started laying by the time the rest of the laying flock was wimping out for the winter, so I haven't even been looking for eggs for weeks, figuring they'd start with the rest in the spring.

I have been happily watching the Jaerhons run around *on the top of the snow,* which is highly unusual. My other breeds won't touch down a toe to the white stuff. But still, I live at 8200' altitude in the Rockies and, in 10 years of having a flock, none of my chickens of any breed have *ever* laid an egg in November. I don't use artificial lighting, so this really somethin' awesome!

I'm stoked!
wee.gif
ya.gif

Last edited:
Never heard of that kind of chicken. How 'bout a pic? If they lay eggs that look like your avatar, I'm getting me some!

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
Yeah! Me too!!! Those are some gorgeous eggs!

lau.gif

So here's Oslo, the roo (I'll see if I can get some of his ladies tomorrow--the light is fading fast tonight):

19483_p1010002.jpg
19483_p1010009.jpg

(They are pasanke eggs, Ukrainian, by the by...I am excited to use the white/pale beige NJ eggs to make some!)

Last edited:
Beautiful rooster! I wonder how well they do in hot weather...I moved this spring from southwestern Colorado to northern Arizona and it is still fairly warm here even in November, our trees are all green still! I like the unusual breeds that you don't see all the time.

Back
Top Bottom