I can't believe it! My Norwegian Jaerhons have started laying!

Quote:
You know, I ordered them from Ideal last spring so that I didn't have to get straight run from Sand Hill. As far as I know, those are the only 2 available sources. I'd love to compare birds from both, if anyone has Sand Hill Jaerhons...and maybe trade eggs eventually? It is a little difficult to find information on them (wish I spoke Norwegian!)

Still haven't taken pics of the girls, as it is snowing here today! Hang onto your hats...

Ok...here's some snowy day pics of my Jaer-hens Zizelle, Etta and Greta!
19483_jhen.jpg
19483_jahens.jpg
19483_jaerhen.jpg
19483_njhen.jpg

Their tails are usually up straight in the air when foraging, but on rainy or snowy days like today, the tail set is lower. I guess they are a weather and mood indicator! They do seem to enjoy the snow and are really fond of eating it...
I'm also impressed with how agile these birds are, especially in flying when they are startled. I free-range my laying flock, so I think this will be a plus to help them escape predators.
They did fine here in the mountains in the summer, but we don't get many days above 90 degrees. They hadn't begun laying yet, so not sure overall how to judge their heat-tolerance.

Last edited:
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
Yeah! Me too!!! Those are some gorgeous eggs!

lau.gif

(They are pasanke eggs, Ukrainian, by the by...I am excited to use the white/pale beige NJ eggs to make some!)

Those are gorgeous eggs! Did you make the eggs in the pic? My son's girlfriend is from the Ukraine, moved here with her mom when she was 8. They go back to visit every summer. I would love to find something unique to give her for Christmas like that!!

Quote:
lau.gif

(They are pasanke eggs, Ukrainian, by the by...I am excited to use the white/pale beige NJ eggs to make some!)

Those are gorgeous eggs! Did you make the eggs in the pic? My son's girlfriend is from the Ukraine, moved here with her mom when she was 8. They go back to visit every summer. I would love to find something unique to give her for Christmas like that!!

I *didn't* make these in the avatar. My mom taught me how to make pasanke eggs when I was a child (we aren't Ukrainian, but she was an art teacher and into many unusual things), and I enjoy it very much...similar wax/dye technique as batiking fabric, actually. I don't know if I'll get around to making any before Christmas, but you never know! I'll be sure to contact you if I have something to share.

The Light Yellow Jærhøns lay white eggs, the Dark Brown lay more of a cream color. They are not typically setters, as at least in Norway the instinct has been bred out (presumably in the early 1900's).

ETA: If you want any specific information about them feel free to ask
wink.png
I don't know everything about them, but Norwegian is my first language, so the info would be readily accessible for me
smile.png

Last edited:
Celtic Moon, I'm getting some of the Flame Jaerhons from Sand Hill in the spring -- do they have those in Norway, or is that something only Sand Hill has? And I'd love to have some estimate of how well they really do lay, especially in the winter without supplemental light!

Kathleen

Back
Top Bottom