Please Help! Puffy Cheeks in a Barred Rock?

greenbeandreams

Songster
10 Years
Aug 29, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
My almost 7 week old barred rock pullet (I hope) suddenly developed round bumps on either side of her face - under her eyes. I swear they were not there this morning and definitely not last night. She is inside during the afternoon and at night and outside during the warmer part of the day. I don't notice anything else wrong with her. Is this a normal part of development or is she sick? She is with 4 other chicks - none showing any signs of anything.

40162_img_0212.jpg

40162_img_0211.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just not sure what would cause that. Have you pulled the lid down and back to see if there is something in there, like a cheesy plug or something? That is so odd. Maybe it's nothing, but I raise BRs and I've never seen that.

I don't know what it is, either, but I agree it's not "normal". Where are you located? Could it be "eyeworm"? That's a worm that gets into the eyes of birds, but it's pretty rare in the US, mostly found in tropical areas but has been found in Southern United States...
hu.gif

If you have some Terramycin eye ointment, it couldn't hurt. I'd try it and see if it goes away. Good luck, and keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom