Please Help! Puffy Cheeks in a Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greenbeandreams, Nov 30, 2009.

1. greenbeandreams

greenbeandreams Chillin' With My Peeps

My almost 7 week old barred rock pullet (I hope) suddenly developed round bumps on either side of her face - under her eyes. I swear they were not there this morning and definitely not last night. She is inside during the afternoon and at night and outside during the warmer part of the day. I don't notice anything else wrong with her. Is this a normal part of development or is she sick? She is with 4 other chicks - none showing any signs of anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  2. greenbeandreams

Anyone? Please let me know if I should worry or if this is just me being a newbie.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    [​IMG] I have no info sorry!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Never saw that. Hmm, no idea. It's not normal, though.

5. greenbeandreams

Darn it! I was so hoping because they are the same size and in the exact same spot. Thank you for the response - on both threads.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm just not sure what would cause that. Have you pulled the lid down and back to see if there is something in there, like a cheesy plug or something? That is so odd. Maybe it's nothing, but I raise BRs and I've never seen that.

7. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Thats really weird!!!

Her eyes are really cool colored IMO... [​IMG]

8. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    Very strange. Do BR usually have blue eyes? I hope someone can help you![​IMG]

9. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    I don't know what it is, either, but I agree it's not "normal". Where are you located? Could it be "eyeworm"? That's a worm that gets into the eyes of birds, but it's pretty rare in the US, mostly found in tropical areas but has been found in Southern United States... [​IMG]

If you have some Terramycin eye ointment, it couldn't hurt. I'd try it and see if it goes away. Good luck, and keep us updated!

10. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am a total newby to chickens and I don't want to cause a stir, but a while back I did a wiki search on mereks disease and they had a picture of eye color like that... Here's the link... it's a little graphic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marek%27s_disease
    Have
    your chickens been vaccinated? Are her eyes really gray colored or was it just the lighting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by